Jonathan Morris

Hi there  - where do you get your hoses from - my lower radiator hose leaks and of course no one stocks anything like it locally !!  I have a pinto engine but of course a normal pinto lower hose is too short !

I notice one end is larger than the other as well just to complicate matters   - any help would be appreciated.

Got some of mine off Ebay just make sure you know what size you need for ordering.

You haven't set up so that your location shows under your avatar,which makes 'where do you buy stuff' a tough question.

Most suppliers have ebay shops now, and most do reducers. Demon Tweeks branded and pretty but very expensive, plenty of others.

Hi there  - where do you get your hoses from - my lower radiator hose leaks and of course no one stocks anything like it locally !!  I have a pinto engine but of course a normal pinto lower hose is too short !

I notice one end is larger than the other as well just to complicate matters   - any help would be appreciated.

Because everyone these days uses the same system to search for parts and it relies on the reg number. It's bl**** annoying because if I want parts for the Westfield and I know what the donor vehicle was for those parts, if I don't have the reg number I can't get anywhere with most motor factors.

It's going to be a bit of a jigsaw puzzle i'm afraid....... Take your existing hose, measure up, get on ebay and build one from parts.

My X-flow ended up with 1x long 90° silicon elbow, 1x short (100mm) aluminium hose connector, 2x short 90° silicon elbows and 1x 12inch aluminium hose connector, all 32mm and connected up with top quality JCS hose clips (don't use the cheap stuff).

Burtons, Car Builders Solutions, Rally Design all do silicon hoses in various "bends" and many with different sized ends - as Lyonspride says, it's a bit of a paper chase trying to find what you need (but strangely rewarding !! :) )

http://www.burtonpower.com/

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk

There are others such as Demon Tweeks / JJC and eBay or course (but beware ultra cheap "chinese" stuff)

Both ASH hoses and Viper Performance are also very good and have lots of odd-ball parts that many of the others don't.

Bottom hose on my Zetec has different sized ends. I did manage to get one from the local scrap yard but won't be doing that in a hurry again.

Anyway Car Builders Solutions in the back of the catalogue talks about buying the hose that fits the larger diameter and then on the smaller connection (say on the rad) building up the diameter by using a bike inner tube. Quite a good solution if you can’t get the right size hose.

Heres the link http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/t/Hints-and-Tips

Just doing exactly this to my Pinto. I have got all mine from ebay seller autoperformanceonline - cheapest and good. Post a pic if you want an idea?

Draw a diagram of your pipe runs and hose diameters to give you and idea what you need to buy. You can make up a hose set yourself just using straight pipes and bends (Normal rubber or Silicone) and some hard pipe for longer runs.

Find a local supplier and go and buy whatever you may possibly need plus extra bends and clips.  Agree with the supplier that you can take back any unused parts for a refund which saves a couple of extra trips, as you will probably forget something.

You do need to measure  yourself, the diameter of the radiator/water pump outlets you connecting to. Don't rely on the old hose diameters. as the chances are the last owner could have just made do with whatever he had to hand.

If you are going to use silicone hoses, they to be tightened two or three times after fitting.   Personally I prefer the standard rubber hoses, last longer, tougher and cheaper.

Oh and a few sizes for you.

Radiator & main hoses all 32mm

Bottom water pump out will be a 38-32mm 90° reducer.

Smaller out is 16mm.

And ignore the cable tie i'm waiting for a 16mm connector and all my Mikalor clamps.