Went and had a ride in this today.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Got up today at 5.00am and travelled to York for a ride in a balloon.

Nearly didn't get to fly as the fog came in within minutes and we waited nearly two hours for it to clear.

It was really relaxing and worth doing if you get the chance.

No need to wear a hat as you get warm from the big fire above.

The landing was really smooth and yes, it is my hand in the picture pulling the canopy down.

Hope you like the pictures.

IMG_9765_zpscpzoyezv.jpg

IMG_9790_zps0slfznqy.jpg

IMG_9772_zpsdrnqsu3h.jpg

IMG_9823_zpsjhhc2q9y.jpgIMG_0020_zpsennpc2r6.jpg

IMG_0017_zpslg69btrh.jpg

IMG_0015_zpsaryrmvz1.jpg

IMG_0106_zpscclgt1ls.jpg

IMG_0128_zpsaltdcwfa.jpg

IMG_0155_zpsfm4d94si.jpg

• Like 1

Who has the long arms for the selfie?

• Like 2

Hi Robin.

They have a camera that swings out on ropes and works with a remote.

He lets the camera swing and when it has stopped swinging and stays still then the pilot takes the picture.

• Like 1

Hi Murraymint.

You really need to try it.

It was so gentle and the landing was just a gentle "plop"......suppose I could have found a better word. :d

The pilot gets you all to rig the balloon and also to take it all to bits and load it back up again.

It was really interesting.

A couple of weeks ago I went over to near Liverpool and hired a narrow boat for the day and myself and Carol pottered about on the canal.

You cannot beat these gentle pursuits rather than all this whizzing around. :getmecoat:  :getmecoat:

Hi Murraymint.

You really need to try it.

It was so gentle and the landing was just a gentle "plop"......suppose I could have found a better word. :d

The pilot gets you all to rig the balloon and also to take it all to bits and load it back up again.

It was really interesting.

A couple of weeks ago I went over to near Liverpool and hired a narrow boat for the day and myself and Carol pottered about on the canal.

You cannot beat these gentle pursuits rather than all this whizzing around. :getmecoat:  :getmecoat:

Don't think it's the landing thats my problem, it the bit up in the sky I've a problem with... :)

• Like 2

that looks amazing  :t-up:  - must admit I dont think I would be up for that however

Morning Matt.

There was a couple there who had 8 cancellations in a row and yesterday was their 9th attempt.

I would take a flask with you and some sandwiches and then if you are waiting as we were then at least you can have a warm drink and something to eat.

You will enjoy it and the fog and cloud made the flight more interesting for me.

We did that for the Wife's 50th (so it was quite a while ago ;) ) we went from Stonyhurst college near Clitheroe.

He took us up to 7000 feet :laugh:

balloon2_zpsjfd83klc.jpg

balloon1_zpszzcrc9t9.jpg

• Like 3

We did this courtesy of my son's present to us for Christmas a few years ago. The views over Oxford were wonderful and, as you said, it's extremely tranquil because not only must the weather be calm, but because you literally 'go with the wind' your immediate surroundings are completely still with respect to the air. Well worth doing IMO

• Like 1

Looks great,but my hands are sweating just looking at your pics!!! :)

Not for me I'm afraid.

He took us up to 7000 feet :laugh:

balloon2_zpsjfd83klc.jpg

balloon1_zpszzcrc9t9.jpg

7000 feet?

No wonder your hanging onto that pole!!!! :d

• Like 1

Did it a few years ago and it is great, thoroughly recommend it.  One of the most amazing things is that you can hear people talking below as you go over, even from several thousand feet up, because there's nothing between them and you in the balloon to stop or absorb the noise.  I had a conversation with a young lad as he chased us across a field with his dog.  We landed on an industrial estate and a jobsworth security guard tried to get us to take off again, telling us we couldn't land there! :d

• Like 1

Well I think we flew over your house Scott.

I just want to say that it appears you have done very well for yourself indeed.

• Like 1

It is a fantastic expierence really peaceful and silent as you drift along with the breeze , did the very same thing a few years ago in Australia would do it again in a heart beat.

• Like 1