The Mighty Crossflow

Kevin (Mr T)

I've put plenty of posts up now, so anyone who looks regularly will know what a novice I am.

With regards to my Westy, I have no history or details relating to the engine. But it starts and runs and that will do me for now.

The thing is, I'd like to be running an engine for which I had some provenance and understanding. So should I buy and rebuild a second motor, with a view to swapping it out in the future?

I saw this one on the bay...........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kent-1600-Ford-engine-Formula-Ford-Original-bores-dry-sump-pump-/291560518864?hash=item43e25c74d0

.......and wondered what the more savvy of you felt about something like this, as a start point for such a project.

I've been watching the classifieds and not many 711M blocks come up, so what IS the feeling on the other designations.

Oh, and if you think this is long and rambling, imagine what it will be like if I ever get to the point where I'm pulling an engine apart!

Hi there,  It is a fine engine.  If built well and with a steel crank.  Can be tuned to reasonable power and in the hands of an enthusiastic overwheight driver like can be a Class A winning power plant (2014) but i dont like to mention that :-).

I might be considering selling my mighty car in the very near future to fund an vastly expensive upgrade so watch this space.  

If I were you, in seriousness, find a ready bbuilt engine with history.  can be easily tuned and are superb in a road/competition car :-)

James 

WHAT !

Selling the Mighty Crossflow

Not moving to the dark side are you James !

considering only paul.... back on topic - its a great engine - 711M is the commonly considered best block...

• Like 1

Howdy, the might crossflow is indeed mighty! They're oily, noisy, simple engines that sound fantastic and get a loyal following.

In terms of that engine, it all really depends on what you're looking to do - that WILL need a full strip and rebuild as although the seller states the bores are ok, you'd be crazy not to rebuild with a set of new shells and pistons - not expensive stuff. A fresh built 1600 with standard internals should see you around the 90-100bhp mark. Take the bore to 1700 with a good cam (kent 234 or piper 285) and you'll see around the 115bhp mark. Go for head porting, proper rockers, a 244 cam, electronic ignition etc and you'll be at 130bhp. However, if you're planning a high revving crossflow that will see some track work, you really need to be looking into forged pistons, duplex timing chain, head work etc to get the most of out them and then you're into 145bhp territory, like James has. There's lots of things you could do with the engine, but I'm the unfortunate victim of experience when it comes to these engines and getting them reliable for track/competition use - the old adage of you get what you pay for is particularly prevelant with these (and all!) motors.

Having said all that, they're dead easy to work on, comparatively cheap to repair and a great place to learn about building engines. Think I've got a thread on here somewhere when I put my first one together. If you can pick that lot up for cheaps, why not give it a go?

Should have said, only go for a 711M, the earlier engines had fewer big end caps and where more prone to failure, steel crank isn't essential and very expensive, but forged pistons are a good bet for a strong engine.

Hi there,  It is a fine engine.  If built well and with a steel crank.  Can be tuned to reasonable power and in the hands of an enthusiastic overwheight driver like can be a Class A winning power plant (2014) but i dont like to mention that :-).

I might be considering selling my mighty car in the very near future to fund an vastly expensive upgrade so watch this space.  

If I were you, in seriousness, find a ready bbuilt engine with history.  can be easily tuned and are superb in a road/competition car :-)

James 

Thanks James,

I've been looking , but seen nothing. Could you suggest places where I might see a ready built engine?

Kevin.

try Mass Engineering or HiSpec motorsport in birmingham who built my engine for previous owner 

• Like 1

Hi,

If you are looking to learn about the Cross Flow then I'm going to be selling an injection manifold and ECU for this engine soon. PM me if your interested

Hi,

If you are looking to learn about the Cross Flow then I'm going to be selling an injection manifold and ECU for this engine soon. PM me if your interested

Hi Derek,

Thanks for letting me know, but I think I'm going to stick with carbs for now, at least I have a basic understanding of how they work!

Kevin

Hi Derek,

Thanks for letting me know, but I think I'm going to stick with carbs for now, at least I have a basic understanding of how they work!

Kevin

No Problem.

D

Give Rob at Protune in Potters Bar a call. He's built all of my engines and did a mighty fine job of my X/Flow when I had one. it made 165bhp from components that would otherwise make less. The key to good success is forged pistons and blue printing the bottom end

• Like 1

Give Rob at Protune in Potters Bar a call. He's built all of my engines and did a mighty fine job of my X/Flow when I had one. it made 165bhp from components that would otherwise make less. The key to good success is forged pistons and blue printing the bottom end

Wow that's a healthy output for a Xflow! What is the spec if you don't mind me asking and is it still usable on the road or more race orientated?