Can I tow my westfield?

1959grantura

First of all apologies I have googled and gone through all the searches on this forum and still confused as to how the system works.

Tow car Honda CRV towing weight 2000kg or Golf 1400kg

Westfield 560kg

Driving licence post 97

Am I allowed to tow with a minnow or similar?

Any advice most welcome

Cheers

Dave

It comes down to the MAM (or gross weights)

You will be towing more than 750kg so total MAM cannot exceed 3500kg.

Other bit to be careful of is that MAM of the trailer cannot exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

It is possible to do it but only a small margin to work with so you may find you have to do what I did and 'downgrade' your trailers MAM by having it replated to keep the weight low enough to keep within the range.

Dave

Yes - providing your trailer weight is less than the weight of the tow vehicle, and is plated under the towing capacity of said vehicle.

They have tweaked the gov website recently and it's a little clearer now... will dig a link out.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-rules

• Like 1

It is possible to do it but only a small margin to work with so you may find you have to do what I did and 'downgrade' your trailers MAM by having it replated to keep the weight low enough to keep within the range.

This too - but make sure the new plate on your trailer isn't outside the rated weight for the brake system! A dead giveaway you've fudged the numbers...

Other bit to be careful of is that MAM of the trailer cannot exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

Is that true ? Is that new ?

How does that work for say a Landrover or Lancruiser with a 3.5 ton towing capacity therefore a 3.5 ton trailer/ load when the towing vehicle weighs just over 2 ton ?

Our Santa Fe has a 2.5 ton towing capacity yet doesn't weigh 2.5 ton unladen

Ok so I get this right

CRV weighs 1600kg and tows 2000kg

Car weighs 560kg

Trailer plated at 1200kg maximum (plate reduced)

Total 3360 kg total weight = Legal

Is that correct?

If the trailer is plated at 1200 then the tow vehicle must be plated to tow that weight. The 2015 crv auto can tow 1500kgs. The manual maybe more. Watch your tow ball weight as the crv is low compared to other 4x4 but at 1200 your should have no problem. If the max of the car and trailer exceeds 3500kgs then your driving licence should cover that requirements. BE rings a bell and should be stated on you licence.

The high tow weights are the max that a car and trailer can start moving when on a specified hill start and should be ignored for safe towing. The recommended max tow weight should be 85% weight of the tow car.

Do not tow 2000kgs with a 1600kgs car. Tail wagging the dog you see and will in most cases bring you to the attention of the boys in blue.

If the max trailer weight exceeds 750kgs then the trailer must be braked. Better Google the 750 braked thingy make sure it's right.

Above is from memory.

How does that work for say a Landrover or Lancruiser with a 3.5 ton towing capacity therefore a 3.5 ton trailer/ load when the towing vehicle weighs just over 2 ton ?

Our Santa Fe has a 2.5 ton towing capacity yet doesn't weigh 2.5 ton unladen

That rule only applies to the 'post 97' license which has these special rules. If post 97 license holder were to pass their trailer test if would no longer apply nor does it apply to pre 97 license holders.

Dave

Our Santa Fe has a 2.5 ton towing capacity yet doesn't weigh 2.5 ton unladen

You'll be like me Ash, on Grandad rights, so you get the full towing capacity, 2.5 tons. Likewise, I get the full 3.5 tons on my pick up. (Not that I'd fancy towing 3.5 tons too often!)

Grantura, the 1200 mlw of your trailer includes the 560 weight of your Westy! The trailer doesn't weigh 1200kg, the plate just means that the combined weight of the trailer and the Westy mustn't exceed 1200kg., and it won't be anything like that.

Seems I've done the wrong thing in getting an old Range Rover to tow with. This will push my total train weight about 3.5T.

Grantura, the 1200 mlw of your trailer includes the 560 weight of your Westy! The trailer doesn't weigh 1200kg, the plate just means that the combined weight of the trailer and the Westy mustn't exceed 1200kg., and it won't be anything like that.

So I will be well within the limits on my licence to tow legally then with the CRV

Well you could take the test

That would allow you to tow with your Range Rover and you've got the ability for ever

I will be doing this at some point  :)

Just to clarify that the 85% rule is just a recommendation by the caravan club for inexperienced towers.