Q plate question

Andy - a15cro

Am I right in thinks by if a cars on a Q plate you can't apply a cherished number? I've a bit of a thing for plates so wanted a car on a normal plate. What's people's thoughts on Qs as most I've seen are. Sort for the novice question.

This question crops up quite often too.

Main points are, 

No you can't have a cherished plate.

No emissions tests, just a smoke test on a Q plate for MOT purposes.

There's probably other pro's and con's as someone will no doubt advise.  :t-up:

No one knows how old your car is on a Q.

Westfields hide there age well.

Is there any issues with resale? I once bought a GTI Golf on a Q, nightmare to insure, car was a dog and couldn't wait to get shot. But that was back late 80's I'm older and wiser now.

Is there any issues with resale? I once bought a GTI Golf on a Q, nightmare to insure, car was a dog and couldn't wait to get shot. But that was back late 80's I'm older and wiser now.

Not so much with kitcars.

The emission part at MOT can be a bonus.

In the kit car world a Q is pretty normal. I actually chose to have a Q instead of age related as it is ageless and advantageous for future MOT tests. My car was built this year with no cat and has no emmissions on the V5 :)

There is no stigma whatsoever and no issue with insurance at all.

Anyone buying a Westfield that knows what one is will buy on specification and quality of build. Age is largely irrelevant and plate is neither here nor there to the vast majority of us!

I actually like my Q, it says "I made this!"

• Like 3

Is a Q plate an option for us or a choice made by an official?

I thought that you needed to provide some evidence of engine age when applying for IVA which determines any emissions test. 

Q is not necessarily an option, but it was for me. All depends on how many donor or new items are used.

IVA emissions are on engine age.

I could have used donor for age related but chose not to.

My engine was 1993 zetec with a letter from Mr Ford as proof.

So if you prefer a Q plate a single donor vehicle donor is potentially not a good idea.

If you are not worried about the plate but don't want nasty emission tests/cats etc and want a single donor it needs to be a pre 95 donor.

Chris

Edited by elder

Ah! So the 2005 I was looking at on an age related plate would have a cat and emisions requirements

"My car was built this year with no cat and has no emmissions on the V5 :)"

Interesting point.

Mine (no cat either) was age related (13 plate) but now on cherished number.

Just looked at my V5  it has been left blank in section V (Exhaust Emissions V.1 - V.5) whereas the other 2 V5s in our household both have values entered in section V.

Should be interesting come MOT time.....

So I'm guessing you can't put a cherished number on a Q? Shame because I've a spare one and also seen another one I want to buy, already at 5 plates in the household........I should stop!

No guesswork involved, the definative answer is NO

Hi,

Whilst I'm sure all insurers that insure kit cars will cover Q plated ones if anyone finds they have any issues then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.