WESTFIELD OIL LEAKS - Strange machining?

adahutch

Thought it was time to reduce some of those oil leaks on the crossflow engine. Ordered a new sump gasket set from Burton and set to. All stripped out cleaned new gasket and sealer and ready to go back together. Obviously had a good look at the crank checked for end float etc. ect.

I noticed what i thought was some strange machining on the end caps of the conrods - never seen this before i would be interested to know if anyone else had?.

IMG_20150815_143943_zpsodaxnxrf.jpg

My Haynes manual shows a big square block on the big end cap.  Perhaps yours were cut down to save weight

I'd be worried about interfering with the crossflow self replenishing chassis anticorrosion system.

:)

Jen

• Like 2

can you post a few more pics from different angles?

It looks like there 2 lumps of metal casually thrown into the engine...... can't make any sense of it.

Looks like some kind of crude attempt at knife-edging. Normally something done on cranks though.

Looks extremely odd - if not potentially lethal !! - there's some pictures of a crossflow conrod here http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/ipb/index.php?/topic/72601-crossflow-conrod-lighten-and-balance/  and normally there's just a "hump" on the base of the conrod that can be slightly shaved and smoothed off to save a little weight and also to balance the rods out.

Yours look like something extra has been welded to the base of the rods ! :o

Thanks for the replys - some of them Bl***y funny.

I can't get my head round it either.

All i can say is the engine runs very very well,

could do with valve stem seals doing at some stage, could also do with carbs setting up but other than that very free reving and so far reliable.

I am with Dave on this, it appears to be a form of knife edging. I have never seen a big end knife edged, normally it is the crank webs.

If it was running very well except for oil leaks then leave it alone.

Could it be some sort of balancing thing?

On the standard engine not so important, but when you mess with these and take them to higher RPMs, I would imagine in quite important to make sure each one of those cod rods has the same weight.

It is, but that's not how balancing the rods is normally done.

This isn't a 1300 sump on a 1600 engine is it? The con rods catch the sump if it is, they have May be shaved a bit off to stop this happening.