Opentrack track days. Any experience?

Tim Reid

I have done lots of Motorsport Events airfield days over the years and like their management of the events to keep me and my car safe. Setting clear rules and kicking out the people who ignor them.

I have the last week of August off work and MSE are fully booked so I have looked at other companies. Opentrack are doing an evening at brands hatch on 25th which works for my availability.

Has anyone got any experience of this company?

Yep, Dave is a good guy and his days seem to attract enthusiasts rather than chavs :) free doughnuts too!

• Like 1

Dave is definitely a good guy and the day's I've been on were well run. They did seem to have a lot of race spec cars there more than just track day cars and so some of the times the speed difference by the end of the straights was a little scary!

No chavs though :)

used them once - seemed to be poor control of the cars on the track (certain people pretty much doing what they wanted and not being pulled up for it) - and not a strict briefing to get everyone playing ball right from the off

So unless things have changed I wouldn't use them again

Shame because David is local-ish to me

Didn't appreciate the race car teams testing while I was on track and driving 2 inches off my chuff in the bends forcing you out the way.

Ive been to Daves days when he first started.

Mr Woodall is a top chap, and his days are well organised and priced :)

Thumbs up all the way!

Didn't appreciate the race car teams testing while I was on track and driving 2 inches off my chuff in the bends forcing you out the way.

Yup and not moving out of the way

If you have a car up your chuff and it wasn't the corner before....... they are going faster than you... so let them pass....

But yes I know what you mean about some days, its hit and miss really and not the track day organisers fault, normally race control at circuits deal with things like this.

I know the Gold Track days I go on with my other cars are more directed towards higher performance / value / race / pre-race testing cars etc.

Well it was a childhood dream to one day drive round Brands so I'm going to take the plunge.

If you have a car up your chuff and it wasn't the corner before....... they are going faster than you... so let them pass....

But yes I know what you mean about some days, its hit and miss really and not the track day organisers fault, normally race control at circuits deal with things like this.

I know the Gold Track days I go on with my other cars are more directed towards higher performance / value / race / pre-race testing cars etc.

No not faster. As your up their chuff 10 seconds later. It's how racers drive which can be quite intimidating and aggressive.

Track days should not be for testing like that and it's only my opinion but the teams did seem to get away with allot and have a blind eye turned to some behaviour. Keep your free donuts and get on the wscc track day or other well run events.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you picked an interesting evening for it Tim, I hope you weren't involved in any of the incidents?

Steve (V8 Westy) and I had a great time.

The incidents you refer to were a number of people spinning but considering how much it rained it was hardly surprising. It was like driving on ice at the start but the racing line dried out near the end. One person did roll their tin top but I believe got out unhurt, the marshals did a great job keeping the event going and maintaining safety.

Yes there were a couple of racing drivers there but as soon as they came up behind me I just backed off and let them past just like you would if anyone comes up behind you. Just like other trackdays you can spot the less careful drivers and you keep out of their way and enjoy your day. 

Once I got my confidence I was happy to battle for position and quite enjoyed to close "racing". This is a little different to Motorsport Event days as they run stricter rules about where you can overtake and how close to other cars you can be. 

I was impressed with my Westfield (173bhp Zetec) being able to measure up against a big track and overtake many others. 

In a direct comparison I would say...

At MSE days I overtake 90% and I'm overtaken 10%.

At Opentrack I overtook 70% and was overtaken 30%.

At both you are able to find some "clear air" by allowing a group to overtake or by pushing on to get ahead.

MSE days are lower risk to me and the car because the rules are tighter on where you can overtake and how close to other cars you can be but the flip side is the Opentrack was more exciting and gave a more track experience.

I will always recommend MSE and will continue to go on their days but it is nice to be on a track such as Brands hatch.

Sounds good! Dave the man behind opentrack mentioned on Facebook that he'd been frustrated by the number of red flags and incidents from last night that's why I asked.

Spins are common but it's not usual to get a car rolling over in my limited experience

I'm giving brands a wurl on the evening of the 8th. Fingers crossed for a good day and all people and cars returning safely at the end of the evening.

Tim - Did you get much track time in the 2.5hours or time available? How many cars were there and was the number on track limited?