Harnesses

Kevin (Mr T)

Not sure if the picture is getting clearer or more confused!

At the moment (and certainly until the other side of Christmas), I have the original drop in cushions as seats.

After Christmas I'm going to fit JKs,with runners on the drivers side and they will be tight in the pre-lit.

I'd like to put new harnesses in now a) because the ones I have are old old and weigh a ton and b) they are blue which doesn't sit too well with the new colour scheme.

The Plays-kool ones sound fine for now, but COULD be a problem with tight fitting JK's

Hase anyone got a pair of old black ones I could buy until I can get the new seats in, that would work!

IMO

Get JKS and fit

Measure from bolt to 'adjustment bars'

Ask Luke if he can supply ones to fit that.

You should be fine then if your seat doesn't need to go further forward than that.

I have a pair of standard Wesrfield 4 point in black. Pm me

So have I, free loan if you like.

• Like 1

I thought when I got my Westie,  I would look at fitting different belts.

I have worked for some years on various aircraft ejection seats, and thought about modifying surplus harnesses for car use.

In particular, American seats, particularly in the 1950's used a very similar 3 point harness to the one fitted in my car.

Although NOS harnesses can be sourced, in my experience the stitching deteriorates over the years, so maybe not a good idea!

Martin Baker used a 4 point set up with a quick release buckle, but needless to say, the mounting points are somewhat different.

The materials used exceed all FIA requirements, but the mods for car use would be another matter.

Pilot to student:  "If i say:   Eject, eject,  don't say:  What?  Because I'll be gone!"

Have this strange vision of an ejector seat in a Westfield now!

Seats, like aircraft cockpits come in all sizes.   A seat from a Lockheed T33, or a Red Arrows Gnat would probably fit,  but you might have a few raised eyebrows getting it through the MOT!

Would just love to do it, then give passenger the whole "on no account pull that handle" spiel, then have it hooked up to a smoke canister and a rumble pack under their seat and watch their faces  after curiosity got the better of them and they pulled it...

If you watch the new Star Trek films, on Sulu's console he has an accelerator handle the he pushes forward. I always thought that the handle looked brilliant and I always wanted to have a dummy one made for the transmission tunnel so I could push it forward and pretend.

Rumour has it that  Top gear considered putting a dummy in a rocket equipped seat that was fitted to an old Jag.  The whole setup would have been workable in theory,  but the seat manufacturers  would not co operate or condone it apparently!

Nice story if it's true.