Harnesses

Kevin (Mr T)

While the car is away, all I can do is online shopping!

Harnesses seem to be a minefield, especially for someone who, until the Westy turned up, hadn't used a four point since an outing in a Formula First at Cadwell in 1987.

Mine has eye bolt fixings for all four straps, so that seems to rule some items out.

Some that look OK are designated as being for saloons........does that make a difference?

Ricco harnesses popped up on a search and look OK (FIA approved) and are a good price.

I am pretty sure that the ones on the car at the moment are probably as old as the wooden tyres I had to replace, which is reason enough to get some nice new ones. That, and the fact that when I took them off and put them in a carrier bag, I realised they must weigh almost as much as the engine!

But what would people recommend. The piggy bank is slimming down dramatically, so budget IS a consideration.

As usual, any/all advice would be welcome.

Kevin.

Call Luke at Plays-kool motorsport as he sells great belts at good prices

Call Luke at Plays-kool motorsport as he sells great belts at good prices

He does but they have gone up quite a bit.   Luke will advise you the best way to convert your lap straps to bolt in type, the shoulder eyebolt fittings are still a common fitting.

you need short belts for westfield fitment

Check the for sale ads, they is someone selling a set of playskools ones that are practically brand new very cheap

The eye bolts are the same thread as the bolts that are you used for bolt in seat belts (or they were on mine)

• Like 1

I have a pair of Willans 4 point harnesses for sale, they have the clip in fittings at the shoulder for eye bolts. Very good condition only changing as these belts are blue and I have purchased some black belts to match my black/red car. Looking for £60 plus postage around £8.

I have a pair of Willans 4 point harnesses for sale, they have the clip in fittings at the shoulder for eye bolts. Very good condition only changing as these belts are blue and I have purchased some black belts to match my black/red car. Looking for £60 plus postage around £8.

Any chance of a pic and how old are they? My current ones are blue Willans, but from the weight of the buckle and the nightmare adjusters, I am guessing they are mid to late 20th century!

Kevin.

the bolt threads are 7/16th UNF I think

correct

:yes:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Ricco Racing harnesses on Ebay. Cliam to be FIA homologated and look smart.

I got these ones from what was called Seven Speed but is now Kit Car Supplies. I'm really happy with them and they are 6 point although I only run the 4 main points and not the crotch strap.

http://www.kitcarsupplies.co.uk/collections/harnesses/products/copy-of-titon-4-point-fia-harness

Like Pete says, you need short shoulder straps for a 7-type car, so make sure you are getting the right thing. No way would a 4 point harness intended for use in a saloon or production sports car be any good.

I was very pleased with my 3" webbing harness from Luke.

As others have said, the shoulder straps need to be shorter than normal for a Westfield. The lap belts also need to be sized correctly so that the adjusters and centre fixing come in the right place. These can make all the difference between a harness that is sort of OK, but a bit of a struggle to use and one that fits really nicely. Best to talk to a supplier you knows these cars if you are going to buy new.

Jen

Some seats/fitments suit pull up lap strap tightening which is much easier in a cramped cockpit.

Where lap strap goes though hole at side of seat (as JK) and/or seat needs to move forward the pull up style probably won't suit.