What do I need to put a 7 year old safely in my Westfield.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

I can take one tomorrow night but I can never upload photos onto here, if you message me your email address I'll send some through.

I take my 4yr old daughter out with me and what I've done is build the bottom of the seat up with a firm cushion and then she has a booster seat with a back on it which now sits on top of the cushion and seat belt clips either side and the 2 shoulder straps fit in them and the other 2 across her lap, fits in brilliantly and the local bobby is happy with it aswell.

I think this is absolutely essential that the seat is affixed to the existing seat! Sadly, in my line of work, I've seen far too many cases where seats are not fixed/wrongly fixed and the consequences have been appalling! The forces experienced in even what we may consider low speed impacts are quite remarkable. There's been other threads on chassis designs and the standard protection - even there, posters talk of never feeling quite wholly protected and therefore I'm a little concerned that peeps are not fixing seats down for young'uns...

Don't just think of front end collisions, but rear, lateral and quarter. These forces can be enough to rip a person out of a seat even when belted in. I guess a crude example to display this is, have you ever seen any of the numerous YouTube videos where a person appears to be properly strapped into a seat on a show ride (and he/she probably is to the best of the safety design), only to start slipping out due to forces during the ride!! 

Chris, it's good that your seat is fixed :t-up: but I wouldn't give a rat's a** if the local bobby was happy or not .. it's not his child sitting in the seat plus he's not the expert .. nor am I, but for my first hand experiences.

I also think that those peeps that are taking an approved safety seat and cuting/re-shaping/adjusting it to suit may find that their actions would be lambasted should the worst happen!

• Like 1

I think this is absolutely essential that the seat is affixed to the existing seat! Sadly, in my line of work, I've seen far too many cases where seats are not fixed/wrongly fixed and the consequences have been appalling! The forces experienced in even what we may consider low speed impacts are quite remarkable. There's been other threads on chassis designs and the standard protection - even there, posters talk of never feeling quite wholly protected and therefore I'm a little concerned that peeps are not fixing seats down for young'uns...

Don't just think of front end collisions, but rear, lateral and quarter. These forces can be enough to rip a person out of a seat even when belted in. I guess a crude example to display this is, have you ever seen any of the numerous YouTube videos where a person appears to be properly strapped into a seat on a show ride (and he/she probably is to the best of the safety design), only to start slipping out due to forces during the ride!! 

Chris, it's good that your seat is fixed :t-up: but I wouldn't give a rat's a** if the local bobby was happy or not .. it's not his child sitting in the seat plus he's not the expert .. nor am I, but for my first hand experiences.

I also think that those peeps that are taking an approved safety seat and cuting/re-shaping/adjusting it to suit may find that their actions would be lambasted should the worst happen!

This is why I spent a long time looking for a booster seat that would fit in the bottom of my westfield vinyl race seats.

The lap belts pass through a loop at either side of the seat thus keeping it in place.  I pop a cushion in behind my son which brings the back of the seat inline with where it needs to be for him when he's sitting properly on the booster.

Only thing I'm not happy about is the thin straps currently at a fixed width (standard willans harness).  Wider straps with race buckle are on the cards so this should offer a far better setup.

Until then, he is limited to a run round the block pretty much.

Dave

• Like 2