What do I need to put a 7 year old safely in my Westfield.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Morning All.

I would like to take my 7 year old granddaughter out for a ride in Buttercup.

This would only be on some country lanes where I live.  

I have JK Composite seats and the Willans harnesses.

Is there something I can put in the seat that will allow my granddaughter to be securely fastened in so she is safe.

I would rather do it right than just chance it on country lanes.

I have JKs and Willans with standard road buckle.

I've tried my mates young ones in mine and IMO any with narrow shoulders would be compremised in a high deceleration situation.

With more 'race' style harnesses the shoulder straps get closer near buckle as they clip directly into it, so would be safer with smaller shorter Ickle ones.

• Like 1

The rules have become very strict (and rightly so) when it comes to children in cars. AFAIK, a child requires a safety seat and the type of seat is dependant on the child's height and not age.

With your JKs, I don't think that she'll be tall enough to properly fit under the shoulder restraints of your harness and the fitting of a bolster seat to raise her is obviously out of the question.

Thanks guys.

I have been looking for a while and not found anything.

Looks like she will have to be content sat in the car playing with the horn.

At aged 7 she should just be on a booster, I just purchased a polystyrene booster off of ebay. It fits in my narrow fine but you could always amend the shape to fit in a race seat. 

• Like 1

If she is more than 135cm tall she will not need anything other than being strapped in

• Like 1

Looking at doing the same, but with my 2 year lad, I have just order a booster seat with the intention of trimming it to fit my JK's

should be here this week I will let you know how I get on.

My lad is desperate to go for a blat...

At aged 7 she should just be on a booster, I just purchased a polystyrene booster off of ebay. It fits in my narrow fine but you could always amend the shape to fit in a race seat. 

Plenty of Westfield and even more Caterham owners doing very similar. I suspect with harnesses (and shell seats) the bolsters might be needed for slightly taller children than is necessarily a legal requirement, just to get shoulder height in the right sort of place for the seats and harnesses to be effective.

It often needs the base of the bolster modifying to fit the shell seats a little though - from what people have said.

I always use a narrow booster, sourced from halfords. Used same booster for years, use for our 7 year old and when girls were about same age.

Thanks guys.

I looked at the bolsters but was not sure if they were acceptable or not with it not been physically secured.

I will go and have another look at them.

I have a 4 & 6 year old & found with jk's, harnesses & a bolster the harnesses still don't fit correctly. So I just gave them a run around the block on the estate, I wouldn't feel comfortable to go any further.

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I looked at the bolsters but was not sure if they were acceptable or not with it not been physically secured.

I will go and have another look at them.

I was just about to post likewise. I believe that bolster seats have to be secured using approved fixings ie using the existing seatbelt loops! As much as I've been tempted to give friends' kids of a similar age a ride, I've kindly refused .. .. far too risky, IMO!!

• Like 1

Thanks guys I will feed her a few Maccy Ds to build her up.

For now I think the right thing to do is to let her sit in Buttercup and play.

I am just worried that if I brake and the bolster shoots forward then she will drop out of the harness.

She is not the biggest of girls.

• Like 1

Maccy Ds and stick her feet in a MiracleGro bag every night for a couple of weeks! :laugh:

• Like 2

Don't give her Mc. D's.     I would call that Child Cruelty.

As for a seat, I have a polystyrene booster seat as well, for my 8 year old grandson, just the bottom part.  Used a saw to cut it to fit the JK seat snugly then put the cover back on. You don't need extra straps on these booster seats, they are designed for normal seat belts and 4, 5 or 6 point belts give even more security.  You'll be driving gently as well with a precious gargo on board.

• Like 1