Cat D Westfield on Pistonheads

I-16

It's not so much the repairs that bother me its the stigma attached which could make a reselling in a few years a nightmare.

Exactly. You have to be happy on all aspects.  Not least that the price you are paying reflects what you think it is worth ... and that, when you come to sell it on, you will be selling it for what you think it is worth.

Official description.

A Cat D vehicle will have suffered damage in the past, probably in an accident. The insurance company that handled the claim decided that repairing the vehicle would have cost more than replacing it. Insurers often sell Cat D vehicles on for salvage. Many are safely repaired and returned to the road.

Definitely a wise decision in my opinion. Its possible (though unlikely) that he was not aware it was Cat D, but even so, he has now been made aware and has not yet updated the add to say it is Cat D. Makes me wonder if there is anything else he is hiding, for instance, I would want a good reason as to why he would sell a car 100 miles after a full engine rebuild? There could certainly be a very legitimate reason for it, but I would have my doubts after what has proceeded.

Steering clear is definitely the correct decision in my opinion.

For me the Cat D was a long time ago and a lot will have happened to the car since then. If it is local I would go and see the car and meet the owner which will give you a better feel for it.  I would be more concerned about the above and the engine rebuild, what was done, why and by who? I also think that 220bhp is probably a bit optimistic as he doesn't say that anything in the engine is none standard.

The car needs someone who knows Westfields to have a look at it before it gets condemned by the Internet, out of hand!  ;)  :d 

Some Westfileds are like treasured family pets, kept for ever unless extreme circumstances force a sale; and when they do, the seller practically vets the buyers to see if they're suitable to look after it!

The buyer ends up with a (usually) one owner car, a vast file of info, documents and receipts and more history than a BBC documentary. The new owner knows practically every detail!

Some Westdields though, for whatever reason, and there's often absolutely nothing wrong with them, seem to just spend their lives changing hands every few years, or sometimes less; never quite finding that "right" owner.

'Fraid after a quick bit of scanning of old posts, this looks to be one of them. There's nothing wrong with that, a normal car changing hands every two or three years would be unremarkable.

The trouble is with Westfields that go through this, the history and detail of how it was made and its features quickly get lost - specially if one of the owners isn't technical or into the "scene" (club, local meets, getting together with other owners). Any verbal history passed from buyer to buyer, tends to stop at the non technical one, who just can't remember it well enough, so doesn't pass it on.

If the Cat D is part of that old history, I can very easily understand how it would get lost! I'd be interested to know who had the engine work done, the current seller or previous owner, and exactly what was done. Currently the ad reads like one by some one with no real knowledge of the car/technical knowledge. You'd need to talk to the guy to find out if that was really the case or put on.

I've seen many Westfields over the years upgraded to far for their owners, it's why I often advise caution when planning the upgrades. A 220 bhp, 180 ftlb XE powered Westfield is a very, very fast feeling car, I know more than a few owners I've met and talked to that were to nervous/uncomfortable of their cars after taking them up to this level. Though typically, they sit in the garage for a few years, largely unused, till the owner convinces themselves they're selling it because they never use it anymore!

If the Cat D is part of that old history, I can very easily understand how it would get lost! I'd be interested to know who had the engine work done, the current seller or previous owner, and exactly what was done. Currently the ad reads like one by some one with no real knowledge of the car/technical knowledge. You'd need to talk to the guy to find out if that was really the case or put on.

This is what I thought and the impression I got when quizzing him about the spec but today he tells me he's a qualified mechanic - trying to assure me the car's in good condition.

The work was done in May 2015 by KSP - I've seen a photo and posts on KSPs Facebook page which validates this.

The spec is: "new head and cams with solid lifters etc new Pistons and oil pumps also baffled the sump."

When I enquired that it must be ported and cammed to produced that power he agreed, but strange it wasn't mentioned initially (by a me hanic)

Porting isn't particularly required for that sort of output. It could be done with broadly what you list. (And you could take it even further before porting is definitely  required).

its just a pretty lazy advert then, as far as the description bit goes. Being generous, perhaps he's just not familiar with the sort of detail that enthusiasts that typically buy cars like that want.

Personally I won't touch it just because you've made him aware and he's now being dishonest not updating his advert.

Is there anything else he's hiding?

I would be less concerned if the seller had been open and had documented repair photos etc.

Bear in mind that even if you decide to buy it, it will be harder to move on in the future and will always be worth less than a 'straight' car.

Personally wouldn't buy one unless as Matt says you have pics of the damage and proof of a competent repair - without that you have no idea of just how bad/or light the damage was

Can the owner supply previous owners details so you can get some reassurance ?

My previous Westfield was a previous write off (cat d) I believe.

I had no issues buying it as I came with history showing damage and repairs in detail. That is the important bit with a car that has been damaged in my opinion.

I sold it on for about a grand less than similar spec cars but it was a well specced car so was a good option.

I was open and honest in the advert and I don't think it made that much difference to the sale but ONLY because I was able to produce photos of damage and repairs.

Without them, it would've been a struggle I think and indeed, I wouldn't have bought it myself without them.

Dave

Edited to add... If he was unaware then he has priced it as a straight car so should reduce price if he's only just become aware in my opinion. Having said that, price doesn't look too far off the mark and would've been a cheaply priced straight car in my opinion.

Personally wouldn't buy one unless as Matt says you have pics of the damage and proof of a competent repair - without that you have no idea of just how bad/or light the damage was

Can the owner supply previous owners details so you can get some reassurance ?

Apparently he's contacted the previous owner and he wasn't aware either.

The previous owner is a member on here but I think his inbox is full as my messages are being rejected

My previous Westfield was a previous write off (cat d) I believe.

I had no issues buying it as I came with history showing damage and repairs in detail. That is the important bit with a car that has been damaged in my opinion.

I sold it on for about a grand less than similar spec cars but it was a well specced car so was a good option.

I was open and honest in the advert and I don't think it made that much difference to the sale but ONLY because I was able to produce photos of damage and repairs.

Without them, it would've been a struggle I think and indeed, I wouldn't have bought it myself without them.

Dave

Edited to add... If he was unaware then he has priced it as a straight car so should reduce price if he's only just become aware in my opinion. Having said that, price doesn't look too far off the mark and would've been a cheaply priced straight car in my opinion.

Yes agreed. The price actually did start at £8500 a few weeks ago then suddenly dropped to £7650. I guess someone else made him aware which is why he dropped the price so much in one go.