Cat D Westfield on Pistonheads

I-16

Hi,

Really gutted tonight, was due to go and look at buying my first Westfield tomorrow but a hpi check has shown its Cat D.

Owner claims he's unaware.

Does anyone know this car (think it was previously owned by 'Chrisw_82' on here), wondering whether it's still worth considering:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/other-models/westfield-seiw/4374770

Cheers,

James

cat D is not serious, usually stolen/recovered or a panel broke, something like that.   You could come to some arrangement on price with the vendor.  Still worth having a look over the car.

The damage was recorded in 2004 according to the report. As its a 2003 car I guess the damage must have been fairly significant to justify a write off by the insurers on a nearly new car?

On a nearly new car if the tub was cracked for example you'd have to replace it and virtually strip and rebuild an entire car. So the labour cost would be significant so could be classed as uneconomical repair for a cosmetic hit. Cat d is usually cosmetic not structural I believe

Bearing in mind it has passed all MOT'S  since then so I personally would not worry. However for peace of mind and there seems to be something that is worrying you!  I would have it checked over by someone competent, then set off on a nice summers day and enjoy the moment "every moment"

I would be less concerned if the seller had been open and had documented repair photos etc.

Bear in mind that even if you decide to buy it, it will be harder to move on in the future and will always be worth less than a 'straight' car.

I would be less concerned if the seller had been open and had documented repair photos etc.

Bear in mind that even if you decide to buy it, it will be harder to move on in the future and will always be worth less than a 'straight' car.

+1

I too wouldn't be to concerned about it being a cat D as long as its reflected in the price. But it would be nice to know what the damage was.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to leave it, he will only knock £150 off the asking price to reflect the Cat D.

Mine was Cat D when I bought it, but I was happy with its history,the repairs, what I was buying, and the cost. As mentioned above, Cat D means damaged beyond economic repair. Many are bought, repaired and sold on.

If you are personally happy with it, on all levels, then go ahead. If not, then it's very sensible to walk away :)

It's not so much the repairs that bother me its the stigma attached which could make a reselling in a few years a nightmare.

Chris was local to me and the car never gave him any problems as far as I know, the only thing a bit 'weird' about the car was that the sump hung down a LOT under the car - I guess this was sorted when the engine was upgraded though.

13a.jpg

Still looks like good value at £7.5k to me...

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to leave it, he will only knock £150 off the asking price to reflect the Cat D.

Definitely a wise decision in my opinion. Its possible (though unlikely) that he was not aware it was Cat D, but even so, he has now been made aware and has not yet updated the add to say it is Cat D. Makes me wonder if there is anything else he is hiding, for instance, I would want a good reason as to why he would sell a car 100 miles after a full engine rebuild? There could certainly be a very legitimate reason for it, but I would have my doubts after what has proceeded.

Steering clear is definitely the correct decision in my opinion.

Cat D is not a write off! It is a class of damage which can be easily repaired by a competent diyer.

I know aa drive a Cat D polo - it had a dent in the front wing & cracked indicator repaired for £150!

Bearing in mind the type of car Westys are it wouldn't bother me at all.

A cat.C now I'd avoid as that could involve chassis damage.

Cat D is not a write off! It is a class of damage which can be easily repaired by a competent diyer.

I know aa drive a Cat D polo - it had a dent in the front wing & cracked indicator repaired for £150!

Bearing in mind the type of car Westys are it wouldn't bother me at all.

A cat.C now I'd avoid as that could involve chassis damage.

The 'instant car check' report states:

'Insurance Write Off - accident damaged - Cat D