Driving to south of france

JOCKER

So I'm off with the family to the south of France (Cote 'D' Azur) in a few weeks. Any tips and whats the best route (sailing into Dover). Want the quickest route possible.

Thanks

Jocker

We travelled to near Marseille last year and stuck to the toll roads. Sure it costs, but as the sole driver my vacation starts as soon as I park it up on the campsite ;)

This year we're staying a little closer, but for the toll roads I ordered one of those toll tags. Only €1.60 for the months we use it (once/year) but less fumbling at the barriers...

Avoiding Paris is the favourite.  A26/A5/A6/A7 is popular, but the tolls will almost cost as much as the petrol.  Have a look at viamichelin.com

I drive down to Spain fairly regularly via the south of France.

Paris is OK if you pick your time. I normally go through it late evening and then stay over night just south of Paris. Then in the morning head of south via Clermont Ferrand and over the Millau viaduct (Google it, it's proper impressive). Stick the toll roads. Expensive but quick.

Take plenty of change. I drove from Marseille to Monaco and back last week and the toll booths weren't accepting UK debit cards, which was a colossal PITA! 

On the longer stretches the booths will usually have a slot for notes but lots of them are coin only.

Have fun, great trip. Took the Westfield to Sancerre a good year or two ago, good times.

Daniel

Get your self a Tag so you can just drive through the tolls, it's so much easier.

Do the tags work OK on a Westfield, I.e. Can it be read? Enjoy driving in France but the toll booths can be a right PITA. Not too much of an expense for less hassle as long as they will work.

never used a toll tag as I have always had a passenger - be a total ball ache if you were one up though

In a sadistic way I quite enjoy the toll booths :laugh:

Cheers gents - in tin top this year. Went to le mans last year in westy and seem to remember launching 3 abreast from the toll booths - great fun!