Halfrauds logic

Captain Colonial

I thought Halfords only sold airfreshners

and ICE, plus tents, bikes and pink steering wheel covers.  They don't sell car parts, and nobody uses dizy things nowadays.  They have some service parts like wipers, plugs and filters, but the rest is accessories.  Sad really

They had an offer on pro race wheels about 4 years ago. I lowered my standards and went in to enquire.

The conversation went like this.

Q. What offset can you get these wheels in?

A. What car is it for?

Q. A Westfield.

A. Errrr

Q. So what offsets can you get them in?

A. 4 or 5 stud.

Q no that's how many studs I need to know the offset please?

A. We can drill them to suit your stud spacing

Q. No that's pcd!!!! Can you tell me what offset you can get?

A. ........................

Bye bye

Time for that Magnetronic upgrade. Never have to change points or the condenser ever again. Transformed the old clockwork atmo Cossie before it got the injection conversion.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID006307

Good to see you back Blatters. :)

Appreciate the suggestion but the CVH already has an electronic ignition, no points or condenser on board, just the cap and rotor arm - does this still apply?

and ICE, plus tents, bikes and pink steering wheel covers.  They don't sell car parts, and nobody uses dizy things nowadays.  They have some service parts like wipers, plugs and filters, but the rest is accessories.  Sad really

It's what they have to do to survive, ALL the proper motor factors around by me closed in the last 15 years, i've got BMF (Bromsgrove motor factors) just up the road, they supply to trader as well, but their shop area is all boyracer crap.

It's a sign of the times, nobody wants to get their hands dirty any more and cars are pretty much seen as throw away items that only last 3 years.

The car manufacturers/dealerships have also forced it too, they've pretty much driven the small car parts shops out of business or online.

Tip - use Motor Parts Direct on the Sydenham - 01926 888853. If they haven't got, they get it for you by end of day

• Like 1

It's what they have to do to survive, ALL the proper motor factors around by me closed in the last 15 years, i've got BMF (Bromsgrove motor factors) just up the road, they supply to trader as well, but their shop area is all boyracer crap.

It's a sign of the times, nobody wants to get their hands dirty any more and cars are pretty much seen as throw away items that only last 3 years.

The car manufacturers/dealerships have also forced it too, they've pretty much driven the small car parts shops out of business or online.

To be honest the aftermarket is still thriving in the UK, thank goodness or I and the other 900 we employ would be out of work. What has changed is the type of business. The small local motor factors have been sold to groups, so Euro Car Parts, MPD, JAYAR, GSF all have lots of branches, but then you have buying groups like the GA, UAN, IFA, PDP all with a couple of hundred member shops.

Retail, air fresheners etc are huge business so only a bad shop will not offer them. Halfords cater for a specific market, they want people to pay to have a bulb fitted not DIY.

What is wrong is that young people do not want to come into the trade, as it us seen as a place for those not bright enough for uni, so as the older guys leave so does a lot of the skill set. Then the trade now use a computer system called MAM, but unless you have a mainstream car there is no info on there for anything older than 1980 (beetle and MG are on there due to volume).

So if you car is not on the list then in a normal factor you are screwed, unless they can be bothered to look a bit or call FPS for help as we have old books etc. We can use casting numbers of cylinders to ID parts for example, measure a radiator core and you can get the rads that was fitted to and narrow then down, but they all need an bit of effort and in some factors if the computer says no it means no.

Parts are still available, so when you get them make a note of the numbers and then even on an MAM system they will cross over to available makes.

It is correct that the manufacturers do want cars seen as a disposal "white" goods but I am old enough to remember when Fuel injection first came out and on board computers. There were those then who said tuning is dead and the man in the street cannot fix them, they were wrong then and some people will still want to save money.

Tip - use Motor Parts Direct on the Sydenham - 01926 888853. If they haven't got, they get it for you by end of day

Yep, you're spot on there John, many thanks. :t-up: They're only 5 minutes away from me and great guys, really knowledgeable and happy to go through reference books to find what you need.  They had everything in stock bar the rotor arm and that'll be in at lunchtime today, all for £28.

• Like 1

Good to see you back Blatters. :)

Appreciate the suggestion but the CVH already has an electronic ignition, no points or condenser on board, just the cap and rotor arm - does this still apply?

I don't actually remember  :oops:  :blush:

What is wrong is that young people do not want to come into the trade, as it us seen as a place for those not bright enough for uni, so as the older guys leave so does a lot of the skill set. Then the trade now use a computer system called MAM, but unless you have a mainstream car there is no info on there for anything older than 1980 (beetle and MG are on there due to volume).

So if you car is not on the list then in a normal factor you are screwed, unless they can be bothered to look a bit or call FPS for help as we have old books etc. We can use casting numbers of cylinders to ID parts for example, measure a radiator core and you can get the rads that was fitted to and narrow then down, but they all need an bit of effort and in some factors if the computer says no it means no.

Very true and not just here, any trade.

Daniel

But also, rotor arms and dissy caps are now vintage car parts. Which has never been halfords target market.