POE Security cameras

Kit Car Electronics

Hi, can anyone recommend a good value POE camera system? I'd like good enough resolution to stand a chance of recording a license plate on the drive at 15m distance, a minimum of 2 external cameras that would tuck under the eves of a bungalow and reliable external web viewing with alerts. Although I have a NAS drive, I think I'd prefer a standalone recorder to keep things simple- this would sit in a data cabinet so needs to work without an external monitor.

Thanks for any advice!

I've got 2x Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 3MP PoE bullet cameras and a Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A NVR to record. Quality is really good imho, but mine are mounted high up (4th floor and pointing down) just to monitor the area, so can not tell you if they'd be able to record number plates at that distance.

I've got 2x Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 3MP PoE bullet cameras and a Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A NVR to record. Quality is really good imho, but mine are mounted high up (4th floor and pointing down) just to monitor the area, so can not tell you if they'd be able to record number plates at that distance.

Thanks Quinten, how reliable do you find the software? I looked at Swann, but for every positive comment I found a negative, so I'm a little cautious... Hikvision seemed more highly recommended on the brief searches I did?

Thanks, they look impressive. Do you use the matching recorder, or do you have separate software for a NAS?

They're rock solid. Not had the NVR for long, but the cameras are 2 years old and have never left me wanting more.

• Like 1

Thanks, they look impressive. Do you use the matching recorder, or do you have separate software for a NAS?

I have got this setup http://domarsolutions.co.uk/4x-1080p-60m-ir-cut-cam-full-hd-8-ch-recorder-complete-poe-ip-p2p-qr-cctv-system-3609.html

The NVR isn't bad for the price. The cameras can be viewed on a PC independently from the NVR

• Like 1

This company https://www.cctv42.co.uk/ has a lot of advice on its website. I had an interestting chat with them a little while ago when I started looking at installing cameras.

Anyone any experience of Netgear's Arlo system?  Completely wireless - cameras run on batteries and only record when motion detected.  Claim up to 6 months battery life.  Obviously not suitable for a busy area but would save me having to route ethernet cables around the house.

Alternatively, does PoE work OK with powerline adapters?

Anyone any experience of Netgear's Arlo system?  Completely wireless - cameras run on batteries and only record when motion detected.  Claim up to 6 months battery life.  Obviously not suitable for a busy area but would save me having to route ethernet cables around the house.

Alternatively, does PoE work OK with powerline adapters?

PoE can not work over powerline as powerline only transports the ethernet protocol. You can buy standalone injectors though, so in combination with powerline, it *should* work. I'm not a big fan of powerline though, so I won't recommend them ;)

• Like 1

My limited experience with wireless CCTV is that it gives problems with interference with WiFi signals.

Thanks both.  More research needed methinks.  I live in a dormer bungalow which has very little crawl space in the roof so I'm looking at removing upstairs floorboards to run ethernet cables.  Or running them outside and drilling through walls.  Both a PITA

I've been running black outdoor cat5e cable around my bungalow, Stuart- not too bad with a long 8mm SDS bit straight through the wall. I lost patience with previous power line network across multiple MCB's and decided to change to proper cables...

• Like 3

Thanks both. More research needed methinks. I live in a dormer bungalow which has very little crawl space in the roof so I'm looking at removing upstairs floorboards to run ethernet cables. Or running them outside and drilling through walls. Both a PITA

Stuart, if you do decide to go through the exterior walls and need a long drill bit, give me a shout.

I've got a selection that will go through a cavity wall.

Also got RJ45 crimp tools etc.

And if you need to drill holes in joists, got one of those 90 degree drills as well. Its a pet hate of mine when I see holes drilled at a massive angle because someone couldn't get their drill into the joist gap...

I've been running black outdoor cat5e cable around my bungalow, Stuart- not too bad with a long 8mm SDS bit straight through the wall. I lost patience with previous power line network across multiple MCB's and decided to change to proper cables...

Yup +1 to that... I fully wired my house with CAT5 when I renovated it. I only use wifi for browsing on the bog...