Insurance rip off .........again

clansman

Good job there is a swear filter on here ..........just renewed my Westy insurance with A Plan during which there is the obligatory questions regarding changes in circumstances etc, well me being the honest person I am told them I was soon to be made redundant and that was the only "change". Ah said he I need to contact the insurer's and check. Well short story is as I am now or soon to be redundant the insurer will probably cancel the policy meaning I then have to source another which will then have a larger premium!!!!!!!!!! 

I fail to see what logical difference a persons working status makes to how he/she actually drives the ******g car ..........yet another case of insurance rip off..................VERY hacked off  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Maybe a large number of cars owned by the redundant get mysteriously stollen and never recovered?  ;) 

Seriously though, bad luck on the job front and hope you get sorted out with something else soon.

Statistically the unemployed have more accidents. It doesn't make sense, but apparently it's true.

Not car insurance, but shows the logic some of these companies use.

I live in Somerset and had a flood claim on my house insurance policy from the floods a few years ago. I then came to renew my insurance on a buy to let property in Hull, 270 miles away (that has never flooded) and I had to pay an increased premium due to flood claim on my home. I did ask how a property in Somerset flooding had any bearing on the risk of a property in Hull flooding. 

Oh yes and I work in insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is an absurd situation and one where we could all fall foul of. What they are saying is if your employment status changed during the length of the policy to unemployed they would cancel it? On what grounds would that be legal or is it that you have told then so they have seen a chance to stiff you?

I have never seen that written in a policy document that I must notify them if my job status changes.

It is this sort of thing that is despicable.

I have never seen that written in a policy document that I must notify them if my job status changes.

for as long as I've been buying insurance it's always been the case that you should tell them of any relevant changes during the term of insurance.

For example this is the wording from my Highway Policy

Changes to your details

You must tell your insurance adviser as soon as possible if any of your details change including:

n Changes made to your car which improve it’s value, appearance, performance or handling.

n Changing your car.

n Changes in the way you use your car.

n Change of address or where you keep your car.

n Change of occupation, including part time work.

n Change in the main user of the car.

n Details of any medical conditions.

This is not a full list and you should contact your insurance adviser for advice if you are not sure whether a change will affect your cover.

If you do not tell your insurance adviser about any relevant changes, we may:

n Reject or reduce your claim.

n Cancel the policy and treat it as though it never existed, or

n Do both of the above.

When you advise of any permanent or temporary changes to your policy during the period of insurance, or request duplicate documents, a premium adjustment charge of £15 + Insurance Premium Tax will be made in addition to any other change in premium to cover our administration costs. This charge is in addition to any administration fees charged by your insurance adviser.

had the same when I was made redundant  :down:  don't get any refund when you get job either :(  surprise that :suspect:

Statistically the unemployed have more accidents. It doesn't make sense, but apparently it's true.

And pretty much that's the end of it. You've moved to a different pigeon hole.

So why do we accept these things. I can sort of understand notifications for things like health, but here is a man with no other change than he was made redundant, everything else is the same and yet they can cancel his insurance with no refund?

And yet he could have amassed 9 points and is there are clause that says that he must let them know, on mine cannot see anything.

It just seems to me that the insurance industry are allowed to do what they want without any good reason. Fair enough if he remained unemployed at the time of renewal then increase it then but to cancel a policy is harsh. He will also then have to declare that in the questions going forward, have you ever had a policy cancelled? and no doubt will see an increase again.

At least with Dick Turpin he wore a mask.

• Like 1

And yet he could have amassed 9 points and is there are clause that says that he must let them know, on mine cannot see anything.

If you don't at least tell the in surer of convictions (and points) on renewal, then it invalidates your policy! They won't pay out in the event of a claim for damage to your car.

I just advised my insurance company we had moved and they charged £25 plus increased the premium. I pointed out I had only moved 250 yds in the same Village, Oh it will be a higher risk area , ok I say we lived in a close where 29 houses had some 60 cars and we were the first house so some 120 movements a day were expected. My new house is in a close with 10 houses and only 15 cars so the cost should be reduced, how did they explain that, Oh I expect they are more expensive cars and you have a neighbour having lots of claims?????? They really do make it up on a daily basis we are just as much to blame by accepting it. 

I must find out who this neighbour is that's having all these accidents.

If you don't at least tell the in surer of convictions (and points) on renewal, then it invalidates your policy! They won't pay out in the event of a claim for damage to your car.

I can understand that Stephen, it is reasonable to expect that at renewal, but to cancel a policy because some one was unfortunate to lose his job is just despicable. He is the same as the day before but they see it as an opportunity to get money at a time when things are uncertain.

It is about time that the consumer watchdogs raise a super complaint against the whole industry for this sort of thing. Banks have quite rightly come under fire for sharp practice but no right minded person could conclude that this is a fair industry in the way it operates.

I was burgled and was dealt with in an exemplary way by my insurer NFU, but when the independent loss adjuster came he did say that other companies would have argued about every single bit. Why would that be unless they were trying to wriggle out of a fair and reasonable claim. 

There's only every one winner when your dealing with these guys….it's a fact of life it doesn't pay to be honest, but at the end of the day the majority of us are and we have to pay for the rest that are not.  Hopefully you get something sorted out with your insurance and your job Campbell...