Broken night

Captain Colonial

Woken at 2:45 this morning by the sound of a sickening crash about 100 yards down my street, followed about three minutes later by several sirens which is unusual as they don't normally sound them after 11 PM.

I looked on from the bedroom window at police, fire, and ambulance service working away.  The police were still there at 8 this morning when I walked to get the papers only 25 yards away.  Not good. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-33210532

He must have really been shifting, the speed limit is 30mph.  As far as I can tell, he lost it on the damp right hand bend, spun it backwards and went into a tree and wall.  Very sad indeed and a terrible waste.

Please be careful out there and show that link to your kids if they're old enough, not just to stop them drink driving but also stop them getting in a car with someone who is.

It's a terrible waste of life…and not good for the ones that are left behind...

Bit of a panic on then, had to check on No 3 son but thankfully he is in one piece.

Not good news for several other families though.

Bob :(

Bit of a panic on then, had to check on No 3 son but thankfully he is in one piece.

Not good news for several other families though.

Bob :(

Was very confident your highly intelligent son wasn't involved Bob but sorry if it worried you.  Passed it earlier today on an errand and the tree is unscathed but someone's 6 ft brick wall is history.  Wouldn't want to be the driver who survived it.  Such a waste.  I can still hear the crash in my mind - might be hard dropping off to sleep tonight.

Thanks Scott he thankfully called me about 2 minutes after I had texted him about the post. Sad news for some thankfully we escaped this event unscathed. And he's landed a job after 18 months of applying and going through the mill. Starts 2017 after his masters, so you have him as a near neighbour for some time yet oh exalted one.

Again  thanks for the words

Bob :d

• Like 2

Thanks Scott he thankfully called me about 2 minutes after I had texted him about the post. Sad news for some thankfully we escaped this event unscathed. And he's landed a job after 18 months of applying and going through the mill. Starts 2017 after his masters, so you have him as a near neighbour for some time yet oh exalted one.

Again  thanks for the words

Bob :d

Congrats to him and great he's still local - I'll keep an eye on him for you. :d

We should all meet up for a curry one night - PM me some time when you're here. :t-up:

Sad news for some family but to be honest, young driver, too much drink, early hours all fits. what will happen now is that "speed" will be the big issue and the other bits will get second billing, it always does unfortunately and ignores the real reason. hitting anything at any speed that does not move is always bad news.

Many years ago I worked as a recovery driver on a police rota, and you could turn up and see a mangled car and see the driver walking around. The next one would be a car with relatively minor damage and there would be fatalities.

It is always shocking but in truth many young drivers now are much better and safer than some of those drivers with experience. Once the police have a few more facts we will know more.

My daughters next rotation is in A&E at Coventry and Warwick, as a junior doctor. Leamington is a nice place but still has it's share of RTA as all other areas do.

Sad news for some family but to be honest, young driver, too much drink, early hours all fits. what will happen now is that "speed" will be the big issue and the other bits will get second billing

Don't forget to add to this "car bought by parents".

Of all the incidents of younger driver crashes that I've heard of locally, the lions share were either in their parents cars OR cars bought for them by parents.

If you don't pay for it yourself, you have no respect for it.

• Like 1

I think that there is some worth in going to restricted power of cars for newly qualified drivers. It seems bonkers that anyone can pass a test and then drive a Ferrari. I know it would be difficult but at present the government relies on the insurance companies to restrict the young by cost.

And that has the opposite effect in truth on safety. Young kids cannot afford a decent car and insurance so they buy a **** box and insure it, running everything else on a shoestring. When the inevitable happens the parents then start charities and want speed reductions etc. which you can understand.

when my daughter got her first car, it was a Yaris, small safe with no street cred. By the time she got her first Mini Cooper she was a better driver as we insisted on training and kept checking her driving. Her bad habit was travelling too close.

I also gave her the confidence to not get into **** boxes with idiots. On two occasions she made a young lad stop and got her and a mate a cab home because he was driving like an idiot.

young people and I was young once, do not see the perils we do now and we can only try to stop this tragic waste of life. In truth it is now much rarer thing than in my youth and that is why it seems so much more tragic now.

When I started as an apprentice mechanic, we started at tech and the lecturer asked us to stand up so he could have a good look at us. After we did this he told us that if this year went the same as every other one he had taught, two of us in that class of 20 young men would be dead! He was spot on!