Ashbourne to Rudyard Lake - Peak District 21 June Sun

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Meet at The Bentley Brook Inn, DE6 1LF, 2.5 miles north of Ashbourne at 10.30 am.

It was postponed last week due to the weather, so fingers crossed the chance of a light shower that they are forecasting for tomorrow is true, I can live with that.

Details as last week:

It's a twisty run across the tops of the Peak District, just missing the Cat and Fiddle pub to end up for lunch at the Hotel Rudyard, near the pretty Rudyard Lake, north of Leek. Then it's a brief section through Leek town centre (yuk) to spit us back out on the country roads past the beautiful Ramshaw Rocks, which, from this direction tower right above you.

Not there yet, a great road takes you right underneath the Roaches and to a tea room with a view and lots of yummy cakes. We can sort the route from there depending on in which direction people need to be for home.

Everybody welcome.

Who is coming?

OK, new cylinder head fitted, slight oil leak from cam cover (may fix today), carbs rejetted and running well but whining final drive now, ho hum!

We'll be there though, as long as the cakes are good as the famous lemon meringue :p

Great stuff, I, er, have a change of plan though, don't worry it is all good news.  I have been trying to get onto the Parkside Run and today I had a call that they have had a cancellation, so although it's too late to fully engage with this event I have arranged to meet a load of classic cars at Buxton Pavillion for lunch. The marshals are expecting us and we can park up with them and have our lunch there. Bring your camera.

In August they are doing a run around the WW2 airfields of Lincolnshire so we can discuss the logistics of that event with them too.

This will have to be my monthly meet also, because that is due tomorrow.

So, you will be glad to know we don't have to meet at the public toilets and the cakes will be very good, see you in the morning.

Ok Julie, what time is the meet at Buxton?

Sorry but we cannot make this. Had the car sorted at Blink today so lots to catch up on as we go on holiday on Thursday.

Hope you have a good day.

Ian

Thanks Ian.

Martyn - we will still be meeting at 10.30 at the Bentley Brook Inn because I have a nice route to Buxton, unless you want straight lines and 50 mph ?

Well done to MartynV, my Facebook Manager, for drawing an extra bod in today. That made 3 Westfields, us, MartynV and from a whole 4 miles away, Tim, meeting at the Bentley Brook.

Parkside%20Run%202015%20001_zpsqm47hpy2.

After a catch up we went to Buxton along the back roads, including one to Flash, the highest village in England, which also has the tightest left turn in order to get to it, get reversing girl, rubbish turning circle or what. We had views over to Ramshaw Rocks and then Shutlingsloe (the Cheshire Matterhorn) before arriving at Buxton Pavillion. The marshals directed us to park up on the pedestrian area at the front with the classic cars.

Parkside%20Run%202015%20003_zpsvix1lyqt.

Parkside%20Run%202015%20008_zpsrbebqy0l.

Parkside%20Run%202015%20011_zpshw3szk5g.

Parkside%20Run%202015%20013_zpsy6jkmw7q.

Tim had to leave us at this point for his Fathers Day activities, and with 4 children that must be a busy day. Thanks Tim for coming today and entertaining us with the tax inspector/Morgan jokes, very good sense of humour. Hope to see you again.

We then joined in with the second half of the Parkside Run.....

• Like 1

We set off applying local knowledge and a 'Tulip' map book and went in completely the wrong direction within the first 20 yards, then it was 'no right turn' so up to the roundabout, all the way round and then we were off. Normally I have a sat nav in my head and follow my previously memorised route, so this Tulip jobby threw me off course, but we had a laugh and Glen didn't take the pee, much.

We went on a new road/route for me, across the top of Eyam and down Sir William Hill, with views all round, and being at the classic car pace we got to actually see some of it. It led us all the way back to Chesterfield and to the Parkside School for a cream tea finish, and another photo opportunity.

Parkside%20Run%202015%20015_zpssuq9bhc7.

Parkside%20Run%202015%20017_zpsya4oqfyn.

Parkside%20Run%202015%20019_zpsrpvqovq5.

The scone cream tea was on steroids I think. It came complete with velvet cake and carrot cake, yum yum.

It has been a great day, nice to have a day of 2 contrasts, a small group at Westfield pace (complete with lots of noise eh Tim) in the morning. A quieter and more leisurely pace with a large group in the afternoon. The weather held up with about 3 spots of rain at Buxton and sunshine most of the way.

The Parkside Run made us very, very welcome and were exceptionally friendly. I was a bit worried because we are not strictly classic cars, but they loved our cars and gave us entry forms for their next run. It is the 'Tally Ho! Classic Run' around NE Derbyshire and Lincolnshire centered on the many WWII airfields in the area. I will post it up as a separate event for the 16th August.

Thanks to everyone involved in today, it has been excellent and very different.

One happy bunny

Parkside%20Run%202015%20022_zps5pctnawk.

• Like 1

A very enjoyable run of two halves finished off with a great spread of scones and cakes as Julie has noted  :t-up:

IMG_1246_zpsngje3qbo.jpg

Yes Stu it was a good one, Julie always organises good ones!  :d

More pics.

IMG_1239_zpscqu4mrcs.jpg

IMG_1240_zpsm6yacb3a.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry gearbox fix number two only made it home on saturday..and now I'm working in Bulgaria for 2 weeks...

Missing all the lovely driving  weather  :cry:

I've booked a day when I get back home to re-install it. 

I'll plan a reverse lemon meringue route and talk to Julie about fitting it in busy weekend schedules

I am up for that Trevor and hopefully we will see Stuart and again too.

If you google Crooked Spire Classics they have posted pictures of the day in the gallery. If you remember you got your photo taken as you left the Pavillion. and there are some static ones as well.