New registration rules introduced this week

Glyn

Hi,

Is it a new rule, enforced this week, that for registration purposes they need the receipt for the engine and gearbox?

Thanks

What happens if, for example, you have had an MX5 for years and decide to break it and use the drivetrain?

???

I spoke to them yesterday and there was a mention that "people aren't sending in their receipts for the engine and gearbox" - I said I provided a receipt for my used engine and pointed out I am going for a 'Q' - they said "oh that's OK then".

ETA:

The built up vehicle report is where you state where the major components come from and it asks for receipts.

To get a new reg, you are only supposed to have 1x refurbed item (usually the gearbox or engine), the rest has to be new. So strictly speaking, to be allowed a new reg either your engine OR gearbox will need to be brand spanking new, the other will need to be refurbed to 'as new' condition and they will want to see receipts to prove it.

My engine is 2nd hand - was actually completely rebuilt a couple of thou miles ago by previous owner, so I might have managed to claim a refurb, but my gearbox and diff are off an 80's Sierra - so I went for a 'Q'.

I guess, being someone who has produced print ready artwork as a living before, I could have been creative and 'found' the receipts - but I really have no burning desire for any kind of 'kudos' forming plate on my car - and a Q has it's merits at MOT time and says "I built this!".

• Like 1

What happens if, for example, you have had an MX5 for years and decide to break it and use the drivetrain?

???

you would have a V5 from the donor naming you as the registered keeper and that would most likely have the engine number on it.

you would have a V5 from the donor naming you as the registered keeper and that would most likely have the engine number on it.

I actually have the V5 and chassis tags off the Sierra that my gearbox and diff came from, so I could have (technically) gone for an 'E' reg - but as I said, I quite like the idea of a 'Q' and have no interest in a personal number. 

You Need a receipt for a new gearbox & the engine if you going for a new reg.

They couldn't fine my receipt for the the engine so I emailed them the receipt for the car, I bought for the engine.

I slso had to put in writing to these words that the engine has been reconditioned to a as new standard.