Quickie Mazda front hub grease?

Chris Hooper

I'm putting the new wheel bearings/hubs on what grease should I use on the hub spindle ?

Thanks

I was under the impression the bearings came as part of the hub, at least with the 1.8 anyway. if thats what you have then don't put anything on the spindle, just make sure is clean when you push the hub on.

Shaun

Even with a unit like that, I'd always put a light coat of copperslip or the like on the spindle, just so it never gets the chance to rust in place. 24 years after building our car, whenever I have to strip anything I give myself a pat on the back for having the wit to use copperslip on pretty much everything. Unless it's obviously not right, I put it on everything that bolts or fits together underneath a car.

If you lube up the surface between the inner race and the spindle, this would allow the inner race to turn on the spindle and wear out the spindle prematurely.    Rotation is intended to be the job of the needle rollers/ball bearings in between the inner and outer grease filled races.   Just cleaning the spindle should be good enough to slide on the bearing assembly and a puller should be enough to remove the bearing in the future.

The two inner bearing races are clamped to the stub axle by 140 ft lb of torque on the nut. The main reason for that torque figure is to correctly clamp the two carefully machined inner races together. They are not going to move relative to the stub,once done up. Think of it another way if that doesn't work for you, how much rolling resistance does the bearing present when you spin it? Do you think that is enough to spin the inners when they are clamped so tightly?

Going to have to agree to differ I think.

Mazda workshop manual states nothing to be put on spindle, but give yourself a pat on the back anyways  :p

• Like 1

Are you saying you don't use grease when installing the bearings/hub assembly??

For clarity, the manual says nothing about putting anti-seize compound on it, I'm not suggesting it's compulsory or essential, just suggesting its a wise precaution to simplify future maintenance. I do not accept that adding a touch of anti seize to an assembly of that sort will have an negative impact. I also appreciate that the bearing is a pre lubricated, sealed dual row ball race type with separate inner races, machined to provide correct dimensions when clamped with the correct assembly torque.

Please feel free to use whichever method suits you, was just trying to help.

• Like 1

Are you saying you don't use grease when installing the bearings/hub assembly??

Not on the spindle no, on the mazda setup there is a chance that whatever you put on there can flick up onto the caliper mounts which could then find its way up onto the disc etc - which I guess is why as above, the workshop manual states nothing to be put on the spindle.

ok

• 4 months later...

Like a dog with a bl**** bone I am.....having acquired an MX-5 donor for another project, I was nosing through the bits that are pertinent to the parts I plan on using and came across the section for front axle....and what do you know, it clearly indicates that 'appropriate grease' should be applied to the stub axle when replacing the front bearing/hub assembly. It also shows it should be applied to the lip of the dust seal as well. It doesn't actually say which sort of grease though....

This discussion had clearly stuck in my mind as when I saw the diagram, it triggered the memory.

So, yah boo sucks to you all  :)   I was right (if this version of the Mazda Factory manual is to be believed anyway).

Just one version then, how many did you go through before you found an answer that suits your good self? :d

Grease wise yer bog standard LM Grease is good enough.

:)

You'd think that wouldn't you...but nope, the first one I happened to look at. Only one so far as well.  

This is on the cover page:

1989 Mazda Motor Corporation

PRINTED IN JAPAN, MAR. ’89
1193-10-89C

And yes, I'd probably use LM for that job myself probably, or a tiny trace of copperslip. Honestly though, it made me chuckle at myself more than anything else.