G7 Summit - end of fossil fuels

B.RAD

Basic premise of not using fossil (hydrocarbon) fuels is sound - stuffs too valuable to burn and too messy when you do.

But...really hard to see where any impetus to change is going to come from. Simply making an edict isn't going to do much. Talk is cheap (well, I say that, can't imagine things like a G7 Summit are cheap to run!). There are many alternatives, but most don't appear to be scaleable.

I too of am an age where it doesn't much affect me personally. I don't have kids so don't have the personal connection to the future others do, but I can certainly sit and fret about it in a purely abstract and altruistic manner.

On a more general topic, I wonder when anyone with influence is going to mention the real elephant in the room - population. Take your pick really, as there are more of us, we have to live 'cheaper' lives. Can't all live like Americans as there simply isn't enough stuff on the planet.

On a more general topic, I wonder when anyone with influence is going to mention the real elephant in the room - population. 

That's where the Pope can help...

• Like 1

If there saying that we have to use it all up by the year 2100 then I agree with scott and we all need to do our bit. :t-up:

get out there and burn it all like there's no tomorrow. :devil:  :devil:

nick no one spent the cash because there was no need to. why bother with ****** little wind and wavestuff when we have an abundance of cheap oil and good old nuke power......

as for a crock of ****..... such a dumbass comment i dont know where to start.... i know lets think what we have now that would amaze people in 1930..... oh everything you say well blow me! i mean back then im sure they would have been scoffing at our ignorance and talking with their mates on the internet using an ipad?

85 years is more than enough to get rid of fossil fuels just at the moment the system is such that the powers to be and the people with the money dont want us to. well done to the G7 for trying as pointless as it is.

Well Dom, I bow to your superior knowledge, I'll get back in my cave.

Oh and by the way energy is my business not I.T. but I'm also entitled to my opinion as are you, even though you aren't very polite about it. Any way perhaps you'll get the chance to explain it to me sometime.

Back to sensible solutions - I posted this two years ago:

There are 900 million vehicles on the planet, which thanks to modern exhaust technology, only contribute 2% of the world's nasty greenhouse gases.  There are, however, 1.5 billion cows, whose methane burps (not farts - common misconception) contribute 60% of the world's greenhouse gases.  Bad cows.  Naughty, tasty, belching cows.

The solution is obvious (to a genius like me): Put wheels and methane-powered jet engines on cows.

We fit all cows with masks that collect their burps, which are used to power small jet engines, and axles and wheels, and we ride those around.  Think of the advantages:

> Everyone gets a convertible with leather seats

> No more going to the store for milk

> Road rage would disappear - seriously, how mad can you get about anything when everyone is riding around on jet powered wheeled cows, who moo instead of honk?  You'd be too busy laughing.

> Different breeds for different tasks.  Learner drivers can use a calf that grows into a bigger, more powerful cow as their driving skills increase.  You can buy one of those huge cows if you need a people carrier.

> When it gets old, you can kill it and eat it.  Mmmmm....

> Road accident?  Instant roadside barbecue!  Mmmmm... barbecued beef...

> 60% reduction in greenhouse gases - good for all the planet's inhabitants

> New business opportunity - cow detailing and enhancement products from companies like Cowfords and Demon Hooves.  Chrome teat rings, under udder neon lights, trick wheels, special high-octane feed...

> Racing!  Formula Cow would be great fun to watch, and drag strip racing would be unreal.  NASCOW! And I'd pay good money to see the Speed Series, Cow Class!  :laugh:  Imagine the sound as the went by... mmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOoooooooo!

> No more dependence on oil companies and two fingers to high taxation on petrol and diesel

Just imagine a world full of people riding around on cows and try not to smile.

The trouble is what we have now isn't much different to the 1930's, we're still burning coal and later gas but more of it courtesy of central heating.

If everyone had modern heating appliances and the latest controls packages it would save millions and reduce greenhouse gases. The problem is that the cost of upgrading each home is prohibitive, and people don't like change either.

Ground source heatpumps need a reasonable area available or boreholes are needed and these a very expensive. If everyone in my street ran ground source we would have permafrost similar to Alaska. Air source is noisy and to run either of these properly the systems would need to be run through under floor heating (again mega expensive to retro fit in many homes).

I feel we are going in the right direction insulating homes etc, and very soon all new properties won't have fossil fuel heating as an option, but the problem is the existing properties.

I would be more impressed if the world leaders had given methods by which they will achieve the eradication of fossil fuels, but the bit missing here as has been said is the money these fuels generate for the few.

After millions of years we still only have fire for the masses as a viable option, and although wind farms work not nearly well enough, and whilst nuclear power works it's the risks involved look back at Japan and Chernobyl.

Perhaps it would be an option to explore more communal heating system that are run by environmentally acceptable methods, one thing is for sure I won't be around to worry about it in 2100 and strangely neither will the current G7 participants!

I'm doing my bit to rid the world of the filthy stuff...... I reckon I might just be tickling the 9MPG mark...... on a good run of course....

Nem..........

• Like 3

The G7 nations like coming up with these ideas, it gives them a sense of superiority, but hang on aren't Germany a G7 nation? this is the same country that has been forced by the greens to make a knee jerk reaction after the Japanese Nuclear power station problem and have closed there Nuclear stations down., Instead they are building coal fired stations and have two or three of the biggest open cast coal mines churning millions of tonnes of the stuff.

And the G7 are forgetting that Russia, is reliant on the money from Gas and oil, we are already at loggerheads with them over Ukraine and are powerless to do anything. Add in the middle east oil producers and how volatile that area is and again problems.

If you look at the time line it is a wish list to appease the tree hugging lobbyists.

If we really want to do something we can. All new buildings to be built with solar roofs and proper green ideas. All industrial buildings again solar roofs. Tidal power, the Severn Barrage was stopped due to environmental pressure, stop pandering to these vocal people and get on with what could be a major contributor to reductions. We could lead the way with that technology.

But as others have said, how can the G7 say to India China and emerging countries they cannot have power like we have?

This will never be anything other than a green wet dream as even if new technology, like cold fusion, could produce cheap power would they give it to the world, not a chance.

I'm doing my bit to rid the world of the filthy stuff...... I reckon I might just be tickling the 9MPG mark...... on a good run of course....

Nem..........

Paul, your a Saint driving a petrol motor, could be worse with a DERV.