G7 Summit - end of fossil fuels

B.RAD

Don't set yourself too hard a target of 85 years mind...

What a crock of old poop, until someone comes up with a viable alternative which isn't available yet it won't happen.

And before anyone suggests ground source heat pumps etc, there are so many limitations to installing the like of, let alone the cost it just won't happen, it's just a case of aren't we clever and important suggesting such things, utter garbage!

• Like 1

You know sometimes I am actually pleased to be as old as I am but I really worry about the kids.

As has been said until there is a viable alternative it's going to be very hard to change. So if they had announced big spending to improve the alternatives I would actually have been far more impressed. Although I can remember being at Uni many many moons ago and we were discussing tide / wave power then. But so little has been spent to get an achievable solution it's a joke.

• Like 2

We were told in the 1960's during the proliferation of Nuclear power, that there would be no fossil fuels left by 1990.      

Now this,   has anybody told China or other 3rd. world countries.

The most reliable and cost effective is hydro power , the UK has some of the biggest tidal ranges in the world yet we have done practically sod all to harness the power of the sea , we spend billions on offshore wind farms which are a big white elephant , yet very little is heard or written of using manmade lagoons to harness the tide , Could it possibly be because of objections from the greens who would have us all riding push bikes and living in caves  :t-up:

• Like 1

nick no one spent the cash because there was no need to. why bother with ****** little wind and wavestuff when we have an abundance of cheap oil and good old nuke power......

as for a crock of ****..... such a dumbass comment i dont know where to start.... i know lets think what we have now that would amaze people in 1930..... oh everything you say well blow me! i mean back then im sure they would have been scoffing at our ignorance and talking with their mates on the internet using an ipad?

85 years is more than enough to get rid of fossil fuels just at the moment the system is such that the powers to be and the people with the money dont want us to. well done to the G7 for trying as pointless as it is.

• Like 1

We'll just take the fossil bit out of the equation if we really need to. Plant material converted straight into ethanol instead of it being decomposed and buried underground for millions of years would be the simplest solution.

• Like 2

The most reliable and cost effective is hydro power , the UK has some of the biggest tidal ranges in the world yet we have done practically sod all to harness the power of the sea , we spend billions on offshore wind farms which are a big white elephant , yet very little is heard or written of using manmade lagoons to harness the tide , Could it possibly be because of objections from the greens who would have us all riding push bikes and living in caves  :t-up:

Tidal power is the only predictable natural phenomenon that can be harnessed. Wind and waves are intermittent, obviously. But what do we proles know? And now the Pope joins the list of experts...

I'm wasting fossil fuels so future generations don't have to.  The sooner we burn it up, the sooner we're forced to find expensive new energy solutions that reduce what can spend on pointless weapons and armies.  Go out and thrash your Westfield dry - you're helping to bring new technologies forward and working towards global peace.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. :d

• Like 2

wood chip is the way forward.... most carbon positive and oxygen generating industry :-) and you get to wear big boots