GO PRO

Petemac

If you intend using a Go Pro as a holiday video and stills camera, it's not going to do that job very well.  You need to buy a normal compact stills/video camera with longer focal lengths and a viewfinder.      Go pros are for close up sports action shots and need to be mounted securely as we do on our cars.

I have a Qumox 'lookalike'. It was sub £100 from Amazon and, in one way at least, better than my son's Hero2 in that it has a screen. I use it at 720p to keep files sizes down the difference from 1080p is negligible on a laptop screen. Anyway, my ancient computers cannot manage 1080p. :(

Here's a recent Abingdon clip featuring aforementioned son but my camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4WBOVJXATE

my ancient computers cannot manage 1080p. :(

This is a good point to consider with modern HD cameras, it might not be relevant to what you want to use if for, but if you do fancy having a go at video editing and putting together films from content recorded at HD and high frame rate settings, the file sizes get huge pretty quickly. They also start needing a powerful computer to process them.

Obviously, not an issue if you just want to hook up to the TV and play back directly etc.

But I do know one or two that have got caught out.

The angle of view can be altered to suit filming situation.

Definitely talk to AdamR, he'll give you good advise on which one will suit your needs and budget.

Theres one for all budgets with cheapest one is around £100 I think.

As I said before, it can but its a fixed focal length lens, so any "zooming" is done electronically, effectively using a smaller number of pixels to fill the same screen area, degrading the image quality accordingly. If you only wanted to use it at a zoomed setting, then it's a bit pointless paying for the extra quality, IYSWIM. But if it's only occasional zoomed use you're after, and most filming will be at the native resolution, then it's great.