Chris Evans confirmed as new Top Gear Presenter

TAFKARM

Anyway more important than Top Gear - who'll be taking over the breakfast show on Radio 2??

Clarkson?

• Like 2

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: 

I don't mind... so long as they change it sufficiently that it's not trying to ape its former self. As has been alluded to with the time it consumes, you have to assume it is changing.

Evans was talking about how the TG job came about for him this morning at 08:15am.       He says he will be keeping his Radio 2 job as well.

One thing for certain is--he can't try and copy the style of the Clarkson years on TG, he has to make it his own.  How he will do that is going to be the toughest job on TV, a job that is just as hard to fulfil as the England Manager.

We'll wait and see----------

Even he laughed at the headline "Carrot Top Gear"........

• Like 1

I know Clarkson was the face of top gear but Andy Willman was the brains and in my opinion a greater loss. I think a complete reboot and new format is the only way format.

Hmm, I sort of know what you mean, but I'm not sure it's as clear cut as that. The trouble with Clarkson is that it's easy to mistake the "stage persona" for the real thing, and forget that it's just an enlarged, magnified, pantomime version of himself.

Off screen, I think they were more of a creative team than is sometimes given credit.

The real problems on screen started with the marriage breaddown and the loss of his ex wife and manager. With her gone, it was like pulling the control rods out of the reactor core. It couldn't be kept balanced just the safe side of "too far", and was always going to go critical.

But I do fully agree, and it sounds like Chris Evans, from all the soundbites being played, thoroughly understands; if they don't take this time to re-invent and re-envigorate the formula, then TG is certainly dead and gone.

Surely no one would think they could just parachute a new team in and keep the same old, same old.

One thing ink I am curious about, because it's been mentioned on several news reports and by CE himself, but given the international sales of TG, how well does Evans play to the foreign markets? I genuinely have no idea! It's not something I've either read about or heard talked about.

Or does that mean, they're going to be looking for someone with more immediate worldly appeal to help ease the show in, while foreign markets get to acclimatise to Mr Evans...

One positive thing about CE is he is car mad. His collection of cars is huge and he started CarFest. TG needs a total revamp to work - good luck methinks!

I think it had run its BBC course anyway and IF the trio are off to Netflix their characters will get come to the fore and the new show will be better. As to what TG becomes it will take some imagination but at least CE has that...maybe not to everyones taste tho!!

One thing ink I am curious about, because it's been mentioned on several news reports and by CE himself, but given the international sales of TG, how well does Evans play to the foreign markets? I genuinely have no idea! It's not something I've either read about or heard talked about.

I heard on the Radio yesterday that his Radio 2 show has the highest ratings across europe

I'm guessing CE just fell off JC's Christmas card list.

I'm not so sure, seeing them both doing the topgearesque thing on the special TFI Friday last week, I think all the fuss was just for show.

I've also heard that it's been hinted that JC won't be too far away from the the new TopGear, which I take to mean he might be taking on a production related role, something he used to get involved in previously anyway, getting off the centre stage and doing his thing backstage, whilst a new group of presenters do the talking.

Perhaps this was the intention from the beginning? Get some fresh blood into the show and put JC somewhere he can't cause too much trouble as he gets older and cares less about who he upsets.

Good to know that Mr Evans has a good international profile.

I'd heard similar things about JC, including what sounded like plans for him doing guest slots...

Not had much run-in with Chris Evans, bar one odd of him showing someone (Jezza?) around a car he had (rare E-type with history, or something equally nice) but as said, will reserve judgment till we see the end product.

I think there is plenty of room for a show to replace the outgoing TopGear, but also welcome it changing to be honest as I think it was coming to a conclusion anyway.

Would also be nice to have a female presenter which was talked about. Watch this space as they say.

Daniel

Reading the paper today some of the favourites to join him are Jodie Kidd (Hope not as although she is a car nut she was terrible in the recent classic car shows I thought) and Guy Martin (Big fan and would be a good catch for the show and very different to anyone presenting previously)