Ideal tyre size for 200bhp Westy for the track

Simbo

Hi Guys.

I am new and am looking for some advice.

I have a track orientated Westfield Seiw and the tyres will need replacing soon.

I currently have R888 205/50/15 on the front and 215/50/15 on the rear.

The car now has 203bhp and the suspension set up, both courtesy of Northampton Motor Sport.

I've only done 2 Trackdays, normally with passenger and the car feels fine but I am no expert.

Replace with same size or ??

Thanks.

215 on the back is good, 205 is a good match up front, what width rims are you running? Most on here run 185 but that is more suitable for lower power than you have, I run 215 all round for sprinting but 205 rear 185 front for the road and trackdays (although I should really have bought 205s for the front, never mind!).

In short, the theory is good so if you're enjoying it, then it works!

I ran 195/50 15 R888 and later R1R on a highish power Westfield with no problems on track and on the road. About to fit 205/50 15" R1R on my new set of wheels when they arrive, but tbh, I don't really expect the slight size increase to make a world of difference.

I believe with 13" side, slightly larger sizes on the back, in particular are much more popular though.

Thanks for the quick replies.

With regard the wheel sizes, I have measured the width externally and they are about 7 3/4" so I guess 7".

They are Team Dynamics 1.2s.

I was thinking maybe going down to 195 on the front but keeping 215 on the back??

Thanks for your help.

Seems odd you have the wider tyres on the front axle when most peeps have it the other way round.  Any reason for this ? or maybe you like lots of oversteer.     7" rims can take 195, 205, 215 comfortably so no reason why you can't choose any of these widths, just have to compensate with the aspect ratio so the tyre doesn't rub in the arches.

For what it's worth? From 195 to 205's height or better still circumference is bigger, well thats what I found

And why can't I paste a Jpeg image in here anymore?

Terry

Seems odd you have the wider tyres on the front axle when most peeps have it the other way round.  Any reason for this ? or maybe you like lots of oversteer.     7" rims can take 195, 205, 215 comfortably so no reason why you can't choose any of these widths, just have to compensate with the aspect ratio so the tyre doesn't rub in the arches.

I think the O/P says he has wider tyres on the back not the front?

I don't think you will notice a difference to be honest, go for whatever is cheapest, they will all handle that sort of power with no problems.

• Like 1

I think the O/P says he has wider tyres on the back not the front?

Oh yeh!    Must have read it back to front.