Westfield Narrow SE Lowline with 2.0l Zetec Price Reduced on Ebay

Meakin

Westfield Narrow SE Lowline with 2.0l Zetec now on ebay as an auction starting at £5500 

With regret I am having to sell my beloved westfield.

It is a 1988 SE Narrow model. I bought it as a barn find and got it through the IVA in 2011.

It was first registered with a Q plate and a “mighty crossflow”, however upgraditus got me and it is now fitted with the following

2.0l Blacktop Ford Zetec engine (standard). Tested and serviced by Hi-Flo Heads who also fitted the sump and replaced the belts.

1.8l flywheel and clutch (lighter than standard dual mass 2.0l)

Zx6r carbs through Bogg Brothers Manifold

Westfield 4 into 1 exhaust mated to a powerflow dual box system (no cat needed) = loud ;-)

Raceline wetsump to give ground clearance and no oil surge.

Cooled by VW Polo radiator (fitted with thermostat switch but not connected as I prefer manual switch on dash)

Electrics are managed by a NoDiz electronic ignition which has the advantage of using the Throttle Position Sensor as well as the crank position to give 3D ignition mapping which can be altered by using Bluetooth and a laptop. I haven’t touched the tuning at all and it runs great. I’m sure a rolling road session could improve it even further. It also connects via Bluetooth to your mobile phone for a  rev counter. The NoDiz method also avoids having to use any old ford components (EDIS) as it goes straight from box to coil.

The engine is mated to Type E (four speed) gearbox – this is lighter than a type 9 and ideal for country roads

Live axel (English)

Standard adjustable suspension all round with spax shocks at the front and protec on rear.

Standard brakes all round, disks front, drums rear.

13” minilite (style) wheels fitted with brand new Toyo proxes r888 (medium compound) 185’s on front 205’s on rear.

MOT from last August, which had the only advisory of tread on the tyres, hence the new ones.

It has a hood with a homemade frame, which is best described as a cover for when it’s parked. I never drive it with it up and some studs have been removed. Again you could fit fully if you wanted.

The car has wind deflectors to stop air being sucked up one nostril and out the other ;-). The car has mostly been driven in the dry but English weather is what it is, so I have been caught out a few times. However it was always dried and kept in a garage overnight.

Black carpeted throughout, classic style wooden dash.

Bodywork is good considering the age of the kit (ie it does have marks and scratches but are character not detrimental). Lowline bonnet/nose with bulge for the engine.

I have tried to keep the car as original style looking on the outside as possible. So the flared arches (clam shell wings) are bolt on and could be changed to cycle wings if preferred. There are no holes in the bonnet for air intake to keep it hidden. It is also why it has the wooden dash to add to the “classic” look and people on the forums have described it as a “Gentleman’s racer dash”.  So a classic look with the only difference is that you have the more reliable and faster 16 valve technology hidden under the hood.

The car in has completed about 5000 miles in total from registration and the car with the zetec engine has covered about half of that. It is sorned over winter and has only covered 530 miles since the last MOT.

All kit cars have things that can be improved, and I am trying to be as clear as possible. So here is my list.

The hazard and fog light switches are disconnected. I disconnected the hazard light switch as I had a remote immobiliser fitted and was getting some problems with it. When trying to trace the problem I thought it was the hazard switch and so have disconnected it. The wires are still there behind the dash so if you wanted to reconnect it you could, but I would replace the switch.

The reverse light and fog light looked “bolted on” and so I removed them to give a more classic line also with the IVA edge restrictions, the lenses cracked over time. The wiring is still in place so again you could add and reconnect if you so wished.

My plan was to remove the switches completely and then put a plaque or similar over the holes, or to replace with null switches. Both of these items are not MOT requirements and so can be removed.

Speedometer: I replaced the mechanical speedometer with an electronic version that uses a magnet on the propshaft under the car. This works ok but could be better. I replaced the mechanical one as the odeometer was not working properly and I needed it for insurance. There was also the usual “fun and games” of mechanical cable from the gearbox and space in the tunnel. The plan was to replace the innards of the old style with the new style but I haven’t done it. I will supply the old speedometer with the sale.

Rev counter: When I replaced the engine the rev counter used the old coil method. With a zetec using wasted spark, it means it is not compatible so I did not reconnect it. There are ways of connecting/converting the rev counter shown on the web and using the NoDiz. At the moment it is non-functional.

And that’s it.  

The car is fantastic to drive and puts a grin on my face every time. The zetec runs great and sounds fantastic through the exhaust which pops and bangs nicely on lift off (if you don’t like this I’m sure it can be tuned out). Handling is like you would expect of a westfield ie amazing with fantastic feedback through steering, feet and bum.

So if its so great why am I selling? Well it’s the old story of family commitments. My parents have moved nearer to my sister up north and I will need to do more travelling with my family to see them. This means I will have less free time to drive the westfield AND I need to buy a better distance family cruiser. I’m not allowed to strap my son to the back of the westfield, I cannot afford to run all of the cars, so the only solution is to sell the westfield and buy something more practical.

This will be a sad sale, my son actually cried when I said I had to sell it. My insurance is also fast approaching renewal so I am looking for a painless, fast sale please.  The price reflects this, Now been put on ebay on auction starting at £5500.

Still open to offers. 

Hopefully the pictures (see below) and the above information is enough for you to know what you are buying.

I live in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire.  You can contact me at

paulmeakin1968@hotmail.co.uk

Or mobile 07774584274

Thanks

Paul

20150611_200701.jpg

20150611_200755.jpg

20150611_200807.jpg

20150611_200822.jpg

20150611_200940.jpg

20150611_200959.jpg

Sorry hood is not folded neatly

20150611_201031.jpg

20150611_201041.jpg

20150611_201216.jpg

20150611_201349.jpg

20150611_210026.jpg

Miles.jpg

Lovely car, a real classic and clearly well cared for - good luck with the sale!

• Like 1

Love the wooden dash, sweept wings and mini lites, all with the advantage of a modern engine and bike carbs to push you down the road, got to be one of the best westfields with the best of both old meets new technology on the market, GLWS, nice advert

Thank you for your lovely comments. 

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Quick bump to tell you it's now on an auction on ebay link in edited advert. I'm still open to offers could be a real bargain for someone

Paul

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.