If you moved to Australia...

TAFKARM

Would you / could you take the Westfield with you? Would you build a new one?

Or, would you call it a day and buy something completely different over there?

I wonder what is type approved over that part of the world...

I'd be tempted by a Range Rover (V8 obviously) and this..

I think a Westfield is the wrong car for the job, it's a very harsh environment in Australia.

I have a bit of a thing for the early 1970's Ford Falcon XB (see the original Mad Max 1979), you can't really get them in the UK and they'd be a b***h to get parts for even if you could, but if I were down there in Australia, I reckon......... :)

Aussie pal of mine ran a Lotus 7 in Sydney for 10 years or so - only sold it last year.  I've been over the harbour bridge in it :) From what I gather there's a fairly vigorous 7 brethren down under.  He lived over here for a while and shipped his Jag back with him too.  So it's feasible and I would definitely take mine with me.  Need bucketfuls of sunblock though

I'd have to build a new one... this one would be upside down over there.

• Like 1

There's quite a reasonable scene over there, some UK cars have I believe gone across, though I'm not sure how easy it is.

Most that you see built over there seem built around various Japanese rear drive power trains like the 1800 Nissan's etc. And not so much the Ford base of Europe.

Too hot for me over there.

Me too! Twenty seven degrees C and <70% humidity is my preferred maximum. Australian heat is fierce by any standards in my limited experience. Then there's all the nasty beasties... :o

Me too! Twenty seven degrees C and <70% humidity is my preferred maximum. Australian heat is fierce by any standards in my limited experience. Then there's all the nasty beasties... :o

It was a bit toasty...

IMG_2655_zpsxvbgpgiv.jpg

My Son emegrated there and said that the rules for getting a car into the country were very strict and the taxes would be prohibitave. Almost like they were trying to protect the home market from imports, but I think that that would be ilegal.

For me the question should be WHY would you want to emigrate to Australia?

Because 6/8ths of my family live in Melbourne...

I've been living in Sydney for the last 9 months now and I am seriously considering permanently emigrating, as for the kit car, I'd love to take it over, but with it being a bike engined westfield I believe it is very difficult (impossible) to reach the required emissions limits. Only yesterday I contacted the Australian DVLA equivelant to find out the emissions limits to see if I could physically meet the emissions standards with a Hayabusa engine. Possibly using a closed loop Lambda system and dual cats? It would be a big risk to take the car over there and not be able to get it to pass their IVA equivelant. It does cost a lot in Import taxes and registrations, probably at least a 50% markup on the value of the car, but a 2011 Duratec SEIC Westfield will sell for $39,000 over here.

As for why anybody would want to live here Terry, have you actually been here? I am in love with the place, it has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, as well as the great barrier reef, some amazing mountain ranges, rainforests and the outback. Everything is catered towards an outdoor lifestyle. I have however went from a little village in the NE of England to Sydney City Centre so I guess I haven't had a true comparison, but I just love the fact that everything is literally a 10 minute walk away.

• Like 1