new member and westie owner - in need of advice please

richardswestie

If you order from the likes of Black Circles, Tyre Traders or My Tyres they all have a fully fitted option at a tyre shop local to you

If you order from the likes of Black Circles, Tyre Traders or My Tyres they all have a fully fitted option at a tyre shop local to you

Be careful, i've heard of some local tyre shops refusing to fit tyre's bought online from places like black circles. I suspect it's just a few individual managers being arrogant socks, but it might be worth checking before you buy.

I've never had that, I've used the fully fitted services before from Blackcircles and I've also bought them direct and taken them to be fitted at a local tyre place (usually £15-20 each I found).

I've never had that, I've used the fully fitted services before from Blackcircles and I've also bought them direct and taken them to be fitted at a local tyre place (usually £15-20 each I found).

I know mate, me either.

I didn't believe it myself at first, but when I bought my T1Rs (from JJC) and took the wheels up to the place I normally use, the fitter said to me "this is weird, normally we refuse to fit tyres not bought from us". I think the reason they did it was because I asked the question when the reception area was full of customers AND the fact i've been taking my barge there for years.

It doesn't seem like a very wise business move, more a futile attempt to harm the online tyre traders.

• Like 1

Don't see how they can accept deliveries of the tyres from the online traders then refuse to fit 'em.  I've been buying tyres this way for years and never had a problem or even a comment.

Richard,

Not an owner myself but take my bro's westie out most weekends.

You've had some good pointers RE tyres etc can't really add value there.

However, don't forget the second heaviest component after the engine is the driver!! My advice? Shed a few pounds and that power to weight ratio will no doubt improve dramatically. If the waistline is an issue, might be worth tightening up the suspension as well...  

Have fun!

WL2015

P.S. Think you might have misspelled 'recommend'. We all struggle with spelling from time to time!

Don't see how they can accept deliveries of the tyres from the online traders then refuse to fit 'em.  I've been buying tyres this way for years and never had a problem or even a comment.

I think it's when you've had them delivered to yourself. There are some places that they can be delivered to and some that cannot, when they're delivered to yourself there's a list of local fitters to pick from and I believe it's these that cause problems.

TO ALL ABOVE

many thanks for all your responses and advice - haven't had a spare minute yet to go through everything but am very grateful for all the help

i saw one comment about the second heaviest component being the driver - love this comment. and the one good thing about my westie is that if i get too fat i simply won't fit, so it is a great incentive to stop piling on the pounds

i will go through all the comments and let you know what i do with the westie and how i get on. i will also pull out all the documents and let you know exactly what car i have and all the spec - am a bit of a monkey for not knowing this. To be frank, once the chap i bought this from started it up i was sold. all the details after that went over my head. All i knew is, i need to own this car.

rich

Ah I see what you mean Lyonspride - in which case be sure to have a fitter lined up before you order the tyres

You're welcome Rick!

Let's be honest, you probably bought a Westie knowing that they're slightly bigger than a Caterham, perfect for the "larger" gentleman.

I struggled with performance for a bit - even considered adding a nitrous kit :d . In the end I removed the passenger seat - an absolute dead weight.

It's a win-win as now I can enjoy the old girl all to myself without having to give 'er indoors a lift!!!! HA! Plus the golf clubs AND trolley can just about fit.

Laters,

WHW

PS Noticed your Caps Lock is starting to loosen up a bit, unlike your belt! LOLZ  :d

Edited by westhighlandwhite