Inside Jaguar: The World's Most Exclusive Car, Channel 4, Thursday

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Just a heads up really, Thursday, C4, 9pm.

Presented by everyone's favourite TV petrol head, Mark Evans, it's the story of how Jaguar decided to finish the production run of the 1963 Lightweight; the racing version of the E Type.

Back in '63 18 chassis numbers were allocated, however only twelve were actually made. But now, Jaguar has decided to build the final six, from scratch! The program follows the story through.        

Does Mark still have his westfield?

saw the trailer and looks worth a watch  :t-up:

Does Mark still have his westfield?

Not unless he bought it back. I'm sure I remember it being advertised a few years back. I'm not sure if he ever actually owned the Westfield, though. I had a vague memory that it (the kit) was loaned by the factory for the making of the program, then taken back, sorted out as necessary, and sold on at the end.

i think the aircraft were the same. Not sure about the MG. as you say, he did own the Jag, IIRC he also owned (effectively) the Cobra, and the bikes and the Land Rover were definitely in his collection.

The Jag had something of an unofficial record for a while, as one of the most costly restorations around. Way more than what it was worth in restored nick. But because they were going to own it afterwards, and because they were petrol heads in charge. They just wanted to do the best they could!

Already spotted this, and recorder set.

Decent enough programme although they could have showed a bit more of the engineering.....I was a little taken aback at the Goodwood Toff (Lord March) describing them as replicas.....!

I know the original 12 have racing histories but surely the new ones aren't replicas????

On balance I think I'd side with those interviewed at Goodwood including Lord March. Lovely cars though particularly when they are £4m cheaper than the original 12 owing to having not been thrashed and crashed by someone famous. I am surprised they didn't crammed Sir Stirling in there somewhere. He'd have managed to dig out a story that involved 'chasing crumpet' and a Jag e-type!

I was a bit disappointed on the content of the programme, more of the technical side of the build was required, like where did the engine come from?   I can see it is the straight six 4.2 but was it a new build or a recon unit.

Bit too much time spent on the luggage element and watch is my opinion.

As for the New Lightweight E type' provenance, it is a new factory car not a replica, albeit not having racing pedigree.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 6 cars were sold to very same owners of the originals, for spare parts maybe.

• Like 1

Yeah, I could have coped with a series on that! Was eagerly waiting for them to get round to the power train, what engine, what transmission and so on.

Enjoyed it still though.

Yes, I was disappointed that the power train wasn't mentioned and found the watch and the suitcase superfluous. Great car though  :)

Yes, I was disappointed that the power train wasn't mentioned and found the watch and the suitcase superfluous. Great car though  :)

Me too...

Was the engine fuel injected?  Seemed to have some socking great ram pipes and no air cleaners - that's a triumph of replication over common sense  :laugh:

BTW did you see at Stoneleigh that Northampton Motorsport had converted some Webers on a Jaguar straight six  by hiding the injectors and fuel rail underneath - again I struggle to understand apart from the fact that the customer is always right.  :rolleyes:

It's the customer's choice whether they have original, in-period carbs, or fuel injection. Just like there has been an interior trim pack prepared for those that don't want them quite so stripped down.

lord march tickled me with his comments on "replicas" not being allowed at GFOS , practically all of vintage racers at goodwood have been rebuilt to such an extent that the only original parts are a few body panels the drive train and perhaps some parts of the suspension  , in most cases the engine and transmission internals have all been replaced with modern components which have been engineered to a degree that would have been impossible to achieve in period .

there are even cases of whole cars being "restored" when the only original parts used have been the engine block and back axle   :t-up:

• Like 3

I've always been intrigued by what constitutes an original

• Like 2