Differential Filling Cap

hawksa

Any tips on getting the filling cap out of the differential? I have tried a t-bar 10mm Allen key but I can't shift it!

Thanks,

Simon.

I had exactly the same problem recently.  Even with a breaker bar and a friend's muscle it would not budge even after soaking with Plus Gas.  I wasn't too keen on applying heat since it a bit close to the fuel tank.  In desperation, we dremmelled a slot in the plug and tried a cold chisel but to no avail.

Eventually, I took off the complete back plate and took it to a local welder who welded a bolt onto the plug and used an air gun which finally got it out.

Needed a new plug but at least it is now filled with fresh oil.

Hopefully, you won't have to go down the same path.  Others might have some better ideas.

Impact driver(if you can get it in). Or jack it up and arrange ratchet so that when you lower the car the weight helps undo.( not done this on a Westie though).

They can be a real pain in A. :angry:

If you do manage to get it out maybe consider replacing the Steel plug with one of these Alloy ones

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mishimoto-Magnetic-Oil-Drain-Sump-Plug-M20-x-1-5-Black-/331361841086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d26b46fbe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnetic-Oil-Sump-Drain-Plug-Nut-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STi-Turbo-2000-GC8-GDB-GDA-/131168335063

Alloy to Alloy is better than Steel into Alloy in terms of thread corrosion reduction.

Good luck.

I would suggest a breaker bar with a jack under it, just apply a little pressure (enough to move the end of the bar by an inch) and leave it over night (or a couple of days), far better than it suddenly letting go and taking out something valuable.

• Like 1