Torquing Fixings

hawksa

Can anyone recommend a torque wrench for difficult to get to areas? My standard long handled torque wrench and half inch socket set can't get to all of the differential fixings.

Thanks,

Simon.

I use a Halfords 3/8" Pro range wrench, it's got a wide enough range for most typical fastenings, but is reasonably compact.

• Like 1

I also recommend the Halfords range I bought one for work five years ago to torque down lids on containers and the ratchet only fell to bits after 130,000 lids, under normal use it should out last you, also it remarkably stayed in calibration despite never being backed off,

• Like 1

I've used a small range (0-50Nm) 1/2" drive one with 1/2" to 3/8" to 1/4" adapters and then used 1/4" socket's extension bar and wobble bits to get in the awkward areas such as drive shaft and prop shaft fixings!

• Like 1

sometimes you can take an old socket / spanner and cut and weld it to fit awkward angles and spaces. be careful though - altering stuff like that will give false readings - depending on what you cut. there are conversion charts out there somewhere for say a spanner welded to an extension at 90deg to the torque wrench [as an example]

length of lever x force applied

Be it in lbs/feet lbs/inches newton/metres or whatever just get your units correct

Bob ( I think) :t-up:

• Like 1

Yep, it's the old way of doing hub nuts etc up, without a torque wrench; I know how much I way, so just need to calculate where on the scaffold pole to stand!