In car camera-what experience have you had?

Greenstreak-Andy D

always thought an in car camera would be a useful tool. Anyone had one fitted?

I would need to consider

Insurance approved

Front and rear camera

GPs enabled

Reasonable value for money

Easy to use

Not too intrusive with big windscreen suction cups!

Power source from wired in connection

Any views?

I have seen this......

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/85714/in-car-camera-reviews-dash-cam-test-2015

Who seem to recommend....

1. Transcend DrivePro 200

2. Garmin Dash Cam 20

3. Thinkware Dash Cam F750

Any thoughts

Andy

Roadhawk DC-1 has been awesome for me...... top quality build and accessories ans the cheapest top quality memory cards to boot.

Nem.....

I have the Transcend one in the daily driver.  Not too big or intrusive, just seems to work and you don't notice its there after a while half hidden by the rear view mirror.  

Playback and settings are easy to change via iPhone app and pictures pretty good.  Id recommend it.  Picked it up off Amazon for about £100 IIRC las year.

Only other one i have seen is a friend who has some hardwired into his 3 series, front & rear with GPS etc.  Not sure what make/model etc it is.  It wipes the floor with the transcend in every way but then it should do as it cost 10 times as much.

+1 for Roadhawk

I've got the HD version.

Their own software to view the files is a bit pants, but because it records in .mp4 and not a proprietary format, you can just view in MS media player

I like the build quality.

I have the "Wife" model which records everything I do and then reminds me of all my faults for the next month, very reliable but I must admit it can work out expensive in the long run! If anyone would like to trial this please feel free to borrow for the next week/ month/ year or decade!

• Like 5

I have the "Wife" model which records everything I do and then reminds me of all my faults for the next month, very reliable but I must admit it can work out expensive in the long run! If anyone would like to trial this please feel free to borrow for the next week/ month/ year or decade!

Can it be boot mounted..?

• Like 1

Can you turn the sound off?

worth a look at the Blackview range, they do a front and rear camera version. They have very good review on the LR Discovery forums

Hi,

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes offer discounts for a wide range of in-car cameras.

Regards,

Dan.

Thanks for all the replies guys

I like the look of the Blackview range, bit more than I was looking to spend though.

Transcend looks good too, better price just not sure about the bulky ness!

Dan - would be helpful to know which brand and model are recognised by insurance companies. Do you have a web link to help me identify which one?

Thanks Andy