New member, New FW SE kit build

hyperfan

Welcome Jon....it's the best club out there. I've been a member for 15years and met some great people...and have got life long friends out of it....

Enjoy the build you'll love it and there will be plenty of advise and help for you.... So don't worry

Buzz

"So the wide wishbone, will give better handling as the width will be the same as the rear?"

-Wide track with stearing rack minus lock stops will give better manoeuvrability /tighter turning circle so IMO Fit them.

"Are the upgraded and lighter brakes the westfield caliper upgrade?. Westfield sugested this as its a popular upgrade i was told."

- Not sure brake upgrades offer value or much better braking. Save weight and look nice but probably not worth it for a road car. Standard brakes with good pads will stop you quicker than you think.

"I know nothing about roll bars, can someone explain why the upgrades are worthwhile? I ony intend to use the car on the road."

- Anti Roll Bars not necesary for a road car. Good for track car as can help handling balance and cornering. In fact fitting ARBs could end up with worse handling car on bumpy country roads.

If you meant Roll Bars to help prevent injury in an accident, definetely go for RAC style minimum with bracing. A single hopp will not offer much protection at all if car rolls. Full cage offers even more protection but prevents hood use in bad weather.

Just my thoughts.... you'll find plenty of differing opinions on here, so digest them all and go with what fits your situation and use.

http://2js-westfield-build.blogspot.co.uk - my blog covering build, IVA, upgrades and usage over the first 3 years. Get along to an area meeting as soon as you can there are a number of Northampton and Milton Keynes owners who regularly post on the forum, my one regret was that I waited until I'd finished the car before I attended my 1st meeting. Latest FW manual can be downloading from Westfield, it's a vast improvement on the previous one and well worth reading cover to cover before the kit arrived.

Im in northampton too - see you at sywell soon I hope 

Howdy! Welcome to the club :t-up:

Everyone has their opinion on "must have" upgrades etc, it's very hard to tell experience/advice from opinion but here's my tuppence worth - build the car how you want it, drive it how you want to drive it, then decide what you do and don't like. How will you know if wide track and anti-roll bars are a worthwhile upgrade if you don't know how the car drives without them? You'll always be able to sell on parts of your car that you change, so why not start at the beginning and make your own mind up?

That's the approach I'm taking, and so far I've learnt that standard track suits me fine (road going sprint car), I will fit a front anti-roll bar for racing but not for road, next time I buy shocks they'll be dual adjustable not single, and that a Westfield is a never-ending money pit that will break your heart when it breaks (and I mean when) as often as it will make you scream with laughter when it works! Oh and that I'm still learning, each and every day is a learning day with a Westy!

The very best thing about this club is that if and when (mainly when) you need support and advice, it'll be there in spades. Best club I've ever been a part of, and great mates made through my short 2 year tenure so far.

Best of luck to you!