Stick ons and MoTs - the story continues

John K

Quite a few years ago now, but we actually had a police car pull into one of the Cheshire meets. Do a slow loop of the car park, and single out those without front number plates. Ironically, the lad who got both barrels of the verbal blast, was the one who had genuinely knocked his front plate off en route to the meet! To say that excuse went down like a ton of bricks was an understatement.

We could argue that a full size stick on plate is our only way to comply.

I think you'd be on a hiding to nowhere with that argument: a simple Google would easily demonstrate to anyone who cared to look that there are ways to affix a conventional plate to these vehicles... they may not always look pretty but it can be done.

Likewise, if you wanted to be pedantic, you could well fall foul of the reflectivity/BS markings etc (can't remember the last time I saw anyone with a fully marked up stick on, albeit I believe you can get them).

Stick ons and small plates should be approached with the risk of getting a slap on the wrists (no from the tester!) recognised by those who run them.  Deep down I suspect all that do are satisfied that the risk is one they are happy to accept.

This is one that's been argued for many moons, and I think it boils down to a few things in brief:

> Technically and following the letter of the law, stick on number plates are not legal if you have any chance whatsoever of using a standard rigid number plate, and on a Wesfield there are several ways of doing so

> Many do use stick on number plates without problems from MOT or police enforcement because they are the same size as rigid number plates and use the required font and spacing, and are therefore in the spirit of the law  - but they are still not legal and you are using them in the knowledge that some will apply the letter of the law rather than the spirit, which might cause you legal and financial penalties

> Using stick on or rigid number plates which do not conform due to plate size, font size or spacing is illegal and at some point will probably cause you legal and financial penalties as you are actively drawing attention to yourself as those in authority feel you are evading detection