Std 20 litre Petrol tank

Rossins

Can any of the seasoned competitors out there tell me what the minimum amount of fuel you can run the car on without experiencing fuel starvation on a hillclimb event. I have been running at a quarter tank but wonder if I can go lower?

Thanks

Rossins (Simon)

I've heard a few guys say their tanks hold around about a gallon, over the years.

Avoiding starvation is the (relatively) easy part - tall cylindrical tanks, ideally with at least a lower baffle, should avoid starvation till you're down to nearly empty. Then it's just a case of knowing what you're own range is under competition driving, bear in mind you've got to get to the start and queue up, then get back to the paddock. So wouldn't want to cut it too finely!

A quarter of a tank will weigh about 4kg at the start of a run. You could maybe go a touch less with a swirl pot, but for peace of mind I'd not bother going much lower given how little difference that will make.

I started with a full tank the other weekend and finished on half, haha. Still had fun and still ended up with decent times.

Totally agree with Adam 

Not worth going lower than a ¼ tank and better to be slightly fuller 

I often run with a lot less than 1/4 in my 20ltr tank, but I have got a 2ltr swirl pot which will help prevent starvation on bends.

Don't underestimate the enjoyment that comes from filling a large tank up once in the morning (even if it's 'only' 1/2 to 2/3 full) and then not worrying about it for the rest of the day while everyone with their small sprint tanks has to faff between runs :)

• Like 2

Don't underestimate the enjoyment that comes from filling a large tank up once in the morning (even if it's 'only' 1/2 to 2/3 full) and then not worrying about it for the rest of the day while everyone with their small sprint tanks has to faff between runs :)

:yes:

And I have totally forgotten to check fuel left in heat of battle!

• Like 1

Fuel is an essential ingredient for forward motion. Don't skimp on it :) 

I arrived at the Blyton sprint with 2/3 of a tank of fuel. This lasted me all day doing plenty of runs(double lapper) and no fuel starvation...

Till i left the m180 en route home and then the fuel starvation was so bad during the long left for Scunthorpe it pettered to a halt on the hard shoulder! The tank was showing an 1/8 remaining. Don't risk it imho.

The tank is a standard westfield alloy item and i dont run a swirl pot running on jenveys, only seemed to experience starvation on long left handers. Would putting some special foam into the tank help things i wonder? Anybody used it?