I must look like a mug

Kevin (Mr T)

Went to Euro Car Parts in Basildon this morning, to pick up 10ltr of Valvoline VR1.

"£90.00 Sir"

I hastily left and set off for Burton Power and when I parked up, looked at ECP's web site........£27.66 for 5ltr click & collect.

Could it be that they eye up the punter (I did look a bit out of place amongst the more obviously mechanical guys in there) and set a nice round price they think they might get away with............is that possible?

I don't want to rule them out as an option, as they are local, but don't want to be mugged off either!

Any tactical advice would be appreciated :d

No, walk in prices are always higher than click&collect or delivered stuff at ECP (and lots of other stores do it too!).  Nothing to do (this time ;)) with your mug :p

No, walk in prices are always higher than click&collect or delivered stuff at ECP (and lots of other stores do it too!).  Nothing to do (this time ;)) with your mug :p

A lesson learned I guess. But even then, they quote a list price of £39.59 and no matter how I manipulate it, I can't multiply that by 2 and get £95.00!

Oh well, Burton Power took 86 of my hard earned pounds, but that included the oil filter and other bits!

Even they stitched me up, tried three different credit cards and their machine couldn't read the chips, had to use the debit card for the joint account, so the missus is going to want an explanation!!!!! :cry:

Burtons operate the same pricing structure (just look at their website and compare it with what you paid)...  but then you will get a delivery charge (at least, I am).

Another good source for oil is Opie Oils, but shop around (just google Valvoline VR1 and you'll find plenty places selling it).

• Like 1

My oil came from either ECP or Opie.

ECP are a pain for delivery though as they use UPS, ECP only only allow delivery to the card holder address and when your not there UPS leave a card stating that they'll try again OR you can call with an alternate address, failing that it's trip to their local sorting office, which for me is 35 miles away.

Obviously for the second attempt you can state your work address, but what a ball ache...... And if your work place is anything like mine, the delivery of car parts is frowned upon by management whilst dresses/shoes/handbags every other day are perfectly acceptable.

• Like 1

When I bought a radiator recently - spotted it on the web at a local supplier and I phoned up to check if it was in stock, then went to pick it up.

At the counter I showed the bloke a pic and part no on my phone which had their own web page open - to save any confusion. He promptly pointed out that he couldn't sell it at that price - as that was the 'web price'.

I said, "so if I order it online and then pick it up, it will be cheaper?" - "Yes" he says "comes from a different depot, not this one, so you get a different price. All online stuff gets shipped from the one big warehouse."

So, I could order one online - but wouldn't be able to get it for a day or two - or buy the one he had for more. So I just paid the extra £5 or whatever for the one he had in stock.

When I bought a radiator recently - spotted it on the web at a local supplier and I phoned up to check if it was in stock, then went to pick it up.

At the counter I showed the bloke a pic and part no on my phone which had their own web page open - to save any confusion. He promptly pointed out that he couldn't sell it at that price - as that was the 'web price'.

I said, "so if I order it online and then pick it up, it will be cheaper?" - "Yes" he says "comes from a different depot, not this one, so you get a different price. All online stuff gets shipped from the one big warehouse."

So, I could order one online - but wouldn't be able to get it for a day or two - or buy the one he had for more. So I just paid the extra £5 or whatever for the one he had in stock.

It's madness!!! :bangshead:

They use the excuse that stores have higher overheads, it shows poor management, the business should be seen as one entity and the overheads covered by the business as a whole, but instead they're obsessed with the individual performance of each store or outlet.

A lesson learned I guess. But even then, they quote a list price of £39.59 and no matter how I manipulate it, I can't multiply that by 2 and get £95.00!

Oh well, Burton Power took 86 of my hard earned pounds, but that included the oil filter and other bits!

Even they stitched me up, tried three different credit cards and their machine couldn't read the chips, had to use the debit card for the joint account, so the missus is going to want an explanation!!!!! :cry:

Its a trade price, the unit price is without 20% vat, so it's 2x39.59 plus 20% or £95.02 but they've let you off tuppence! ;)

• Like 1

Oh and I've stood in line at ECP reserving via my phone on many an occasion when I've had to dash in for something in a spare moment!

It either makes the assistants laugh and take the p**s out of the system with you, or they get real grumpy and move extra slow.

• Like 1

Its a trade price, the unit price is without 20% vat, so it's 2x39.59 plus 20% or £95.02 but they've let you off tuppence! ;)

So when all said and done, they were actually offering me a deal :)

My oil came from either ECP or Opie.

ECP are a pain for delivery though as they use UPS, ECP only only allow delivery to the card holder address and when your not there UPS leave a card stating that they'll try again OR you can call with an alternate address, failing that it's trip to their local sorting office, which for me is 35 miles away.

I get deliveries from ECP via UPS all the time. It's always to my work address, just pay with paypal and they dont care about registered addresses :)

• Like 1

Sorry. Off topic but Mr T - how/where did you get your blue stripe and nose from. My car is red and I think what you have but in white would look good. Thanks :)

• Like 1

Sorry. Off topic but Mr T - how/where did you get your blue stripe and nose from. My car is red and I think what you have but in white would look good. Thanks :)

Hi Paul, I'm afraid I have just bought the car (the colour was one of the attractions!). Its sprayed blue over the white gel coat and then a black vinyl pinstripe has been applied to cover the edge of the paint. I'm guessing any decent paint shop could mask it up as required and the pinstripe, with some care, could be DIY. It does give a nice look to the nose.

Hi Paul, I'm afraid I have just bought the car (the colour was one of the attractions!). Its sprayed blue over the white gel coat and then a black vinyl pinstripe has been applied to cover the edge of the paint. I'm guessing any decent paint shop could mask it up as required and the pinstripe, with some care, could be DIY. It does give a nice look to the nose.

Looks awesome. I did wonder if I could DIY it. Thanks. :d