I want the 1960's back!

SootySport

The ever present threat of geothermal nuclear apocalypse. 

The ever present threat of geothermal nuclear apocalypse.

That was no problem. We were taught at school that all you needed was to quickly build a shelter from a table and doors, cover with blankets and get under, we would be fine.

And we had the skills to do that all in less than two minutes without moaning. If you told kids today that.......

• Like 2

If you told kids today that.......they would run to mother and mother would tell them to call a helpline 0800xxxxxxxxxxx

Sitting in the boot of your dads estate car, facing the following traffic whilst driving to Scotland for the family holiday.

Fishing permits..! And a bobby on a bike who would check them. Got a slap on the ear for telling one I wanted to report a crime. Somebody had stolen all the fish.

Got home complained to my dad, who slapped my other ear for being cheeky to the police.

Refresher chews, 2p bags of crisps

Listening to House of the Rising Sun for the first time

Bits of cardboard in your bike spokes to sound like a motorbike (or a Red top powered Westie...)

Three channels on the TV

...and I had crossed over into early 70's. I'm a 60 year old in a 46 year old body...

2P!!! 2p!!!???

Surely you mean tuppence??  

Dear old L.s.d. was the currency of the day.

And weren't crisps 4d with a blue bag of salt and any flavour you wanted so long as it was plain?

Kids! Who'd 'ave 'em?  :rolleyes:  :d 

Ice on the inside of your bedroom window in winter

I had that as a child of the 90s :laugh:

Dear old L.s.d. was the currency of the day.

You used to use Limited Slip Diffs as currency? Wouldn't that make your wallet REALLY heavy?

just off to order me a set of them rose tinted glasses :laugh::p;)

• Like 1

just off to order me a set of them rose tinted glasses :laugh::p;)

I thought they were mandatory for Westie ownership...

Lot of it about. But with gas only, you could have a fridge.

And I'm sure petrol was 4/11 a gallon, or 5 bob with a shot of Redex.  That must be after the Arabs and Israelis kicked off, or would it have been Suez?

But the music and the cars were far better

I ran a 1947 Morris Ten Series 'M' from late 1962 and it drank bog standard petrol at 4/4d a gallon. Super Dooper High Octane was 5/0d or a halfpenny more, and normal juice was (I think) 4/7d. That would have been after Suez 'cos I only vaguely recall my Dad wondering if eau de nil paint was still a Good Idea!

Lots of us 'had' girlfriends (although not as many as boasted as much) but nobody got any of them in the Club - we had too much respect for them and for our parents.

There was only 30mph limits when I started driving (possibly the odd new idea 40 limit) but no 70 anywhere. After a while I got a better car just in time for Barbara Castle to introduce the 70 limit.  :no:

Cons--car vinyl seats burning in summer and freezing in winter;

having to do hand signals during the driving test for indicating ie. turn left/right/slow down (and nowt to do with the popular hand signals too often seen on todays roads);

servicing every 3000 miles and still no guarantee of reliability;  smog.

Pros--very simple motors and few tools needed;

able to enjoy clear, uncongested roads which were maintained in a good condition.

• Like 1

Doing U turns on the  M6 

No breathaliser 

Coppers in Anglias , no chance 

No MOT 

parking free everywhere 

Mini Skirts ( but it was sussies when i was adolescent) 

Jaqueline Hewitt ( what a sport)

all night sessions at the cavern Club

Acker Bilk

casey footballs would brake today's lots legs

long hot summers ( no global warming )

long COLD winters , lots of snow

• Like 1

M6? What M6? I was driving when the new Preston bypass started to break up a few weeks after it opened! That eventually became the M6 didn't it Bernie? ???

Talking of the first motorways, do you remember having a picnic on the M1.   I did with my uncle on the central reservation, motorists were a bit 'Green' then.

Mini skirts before some twisted sod invented tights

Banging the inside of the car when the indicator arm would not go up and again when it would not go down.

Four gallons of 4 star and 4 shots of Redex  for a  proper pound.

The AA man on his motorcycle and box saluting.

No traffic police, plod rode a bike and the Sweeny had a Wolseley with a shiny bell.

Riding a motorcycle without a helmet.

Coming out of the local cinema with a hot date having borrowed the family Jag to find a plod on a bike about to give an interrogation on ownership.

Comparatively better off than my children and grandchildren are today, the country was a safer friendlier and happier place, we were all told technology would  result in us retiring at 55, problem was no one applied income tax and NI  to these machines to pay our pensions????????????