do i really need coolant stat ?

Rannoch

Ok I'm confused, the hose from the water pump (not sure it's 13mm) is blanked off as I was told that is the one that goes to the inlet manifold.

The pressure cap on the stat housing has a small 6mm exit pipe that I am told goes to the supplied expansion vessel, is this then wrong ?

I suppose in a way the 13mm (half inch) hose does go to the inlet manifold, however it is tee'd off to the expansion tank and then the small hose from the stat housing would go to the overflow inlet on the expansion tank.

It's easier if I slap together a rough drawing:

20150416a_01.jpg

Obviously, if no heater, you'd just bypass that by effectively joining the hoses.

I don't know how necessary it is (the connection at the inlet manifold), perhaps it is purely for sending water out to a heater matrix, but one thing it does do, is keep coolant moving around the engine until the stat opens.

This is the stat housing I have BTW

http://www.burtonpower.com/special-thermostat-housing-fp610m.html

I might have gotten the wrong end of the stick earlier, the pressure cap on the stat housing would I guess normally release coolant into the small hose outlet, not all over the engine as I first thought.

The cap on my stat housing has just a large rubber seal, the exit to the small hose is always open.

Thanks for the drawing, if I could load up some pics (which I can't as photobucket don't seam to like me) maybe you could advise what I should do to make the coolant system more effective :-)

I'm no expert, I only know that my cooling system works as it should.

I don't know whether the connection at the inlet manifold is actually needed or not, I do know it's common to find them blanked off.

I feel that considering the stupid little leaks that crop up occasionally, I would not be happy without an expansion tank plumbed in to keep things topped up.

I'm grateful for all replies, and the words of wisdom expressed. I shall replace stat and install expansion vessel. Then I shall visit Stoneleigh and have sneaky peeks at as many Westfields with X flows as I can.

As an aside, this is a great forum that I read every day, and am amazed by the fonts of knowledge that participate.

• Like 1