Newbie Needs tyre Advise

neptune

Hello

Well  after some considerable time searching, I've found the Westy for me!! Hopefully I'll be collecting it this week.

It's an 1996 SEIW with 1.8 pinto Type 9  coupled to a type 9 5 speed.  

The tyres are also 1996!  Hence the advise required.  My primary objective is touring and I really need confidence under braking, especially as I get use to having non servo!!, I've been avidly reading all the threads I can find on tyres, have read the discussion on T1Rs and the MX 5 review on T1Rs v HS51s. Wheels are 15" and currently the car has 195/50/15s all round.

Would very much appreciate and advise/recommendations good or bad.

Many Thanks

Hi I have got T1Rs on mine at 16" and find them ideal having swapped them from 1990's Dunlop rubber, there is a world of difference.

Can't really offer any sensible advice on tyres (I run Pirelli P1 on 14's, and used to have Kumho's on 15's and both are/were fine for my driving style), but good to see another Northants member  :ww:

Not sure if you've been contacted yet by the Northants AO, but the monthly meet at Sywell is tomorrow if you fancy it.

Nankang ns-2r are very good value and a great road tyre

Work well on track too

They're basically a better value toyo r1r

Nankang ns-2r are very good value and a great road tyre

Work well on track too

They're basically a better value toyo r1r

I have a similar car to yours on 195/50 15 R1R's, I can confirm they are excellent but may be in short supply so the Nankang's recommended by Darve appear to be a great option as similar performance for a very good price.

Been running federal 595rsr in 195 50 15 on my road legal track saloon and as a road tyre in three seasons they are significantly grippier than a pure road tyre. Would expect them to work well on a westies and also be good for an occasional track day too.

I use them on wet track days when the slicks won't work.

Cheers jon

I run the federals on road and track. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with T1Rs.  Good grip wet or dry and will last for a long time.  Yes they won't provide the grip of a trackday type tyre in the warm and dry but if your...

primary objective is touring and I really need confidence under braking, especially as I get use to having non servo!!, 

...then T1Rs will be great  You will not really notice the lack of a servo.  The Westfield is so light compared to a tintop, acceleartion, cornering and stopping is so much easier.

Have fun (and be careful).

• Like 1

The important point here is that a lot of "ordinary" tyres are very ordinary.  That's because they're made for a long life and a quite ride on the motorway, things we don't necessarily need, hence some strange favourites

£140 for a set of 4 T1Rs is quite persuasive too.  Yes of course RRRs or their successors at £100 a corner will be inherently better round the corner (if it's warm and dry) but the saving is £200 for a trackday and some instruction too 'free of charge'.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for the advise. Much food for thought