Xe Start up.

Kezman

Like a few I suppose my Westy has been laid up for the winter. About 12 weeks I think. Time to start her up....

I've kind of asked this question before really. It seems to me some of you just turn the key, and some have a bit more of a routine and take plugs out and crank to build up sone OP before firing.

Thing is, I have an XE and for me at any rate, taking plugs out is, well.....not a five minute job. The plugs are buried down there with all manner of little tricks with sockets that fit and bits of hose pipe to put back etc.

Would just simply taking plugs leads off plug end or coil end not achieve same effect? Or am I giving this more consideration than it is worth and just turn that key!!!!!?

Carbs or injection?

Has the fuel tank been full when you laid it up?

Personally, I'd just check the fluid levels and start it. It's only three months after all. 

You may find that it takes a bit longer to start and runs a bit more fluffily at first, modern fuels tend to build up water over time, with carbs this can be a bit more of an issue till the float bowls are cleared. Don't just turn the engine over and over and flood it though.

A can of Easy Start can help just get you past any initial start issues.

Yes if you wanted to be thorough, you could spin it over with no plugs, (the idea is to remove the compression that the engine has to fight when it's turning over, not just to prevent it starting.) You could also drain any water out of carb bowls and the bottom of the tank.

Ive had no issues starting up after a year though, with an XE. Just start getting fresh fuel in as soon as you can, even if it's just a few gallons.

Ah...... I did wonder wether it was s compression thing. It's injection. Fuel filled up to absolute max following acvice from yourself and others...... and never ran over the lay up

Battery is right up, it's never dropped I'll just ruddy start it.

Thanks Dave...

Yeah just go for it, like I say, you might need to nurse it a bit for the first few minutes, and don't panic if it pops and bangs a bit.

Just warm it on the drive for a few minutes, let the immediate fuel in the lines etc burn off, go for a bit of a drive, and as soon as you can get a couple of gallons in, top the tank off with fresh fuel.

Don't labour the engine or drive it like you stole it(!) but do give it a good work out once it's up to temp, it'll help burn off all the stuff that builds up over time. 

• Like 1

Mine needs a bit of a wind to start so it should build up some oil pressure on the starter, hopefully enough to wet the crank

I think the thing in the top of the block is a non return valve, to stop the tappets (yes I'm still hydraulic) draining dry.

• Like 1

I agree that 3 months is not really that long but I tend to spin the motor over without removing the plugs but with the ignition off (I have a separate switch for ignition / fuel pump which is handy for situations like this where I don't want the engine to fire up or flood the carbs - so much safer than pulling plug leads or wiring :cry: )

You can usually see good oil pressure on the starter motor alone after 10-15 seconds  but I wouldn't do it for much longer as I'd feel sorry for the starter motor (and yes, taking the plugs out would help there).

I've found the best plug spanner to be those with a flexible T bar handle and rubber insert  (Laser tools do a few) - stops you over-tightening the plug and also makes it easy to withdraw the plug from the depths of the head :)  

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?item=102 - available most places online.

If the tank is not full, top up with some fresh unleaded (supreme if you can?) - again, 3 months probably not an issue but modern petrol does seem to go off quickly.

P.S - check your fuel hoses - I've come across some unbelievably split and disintegrating hoses recently (not on my Westie now but I did have a few years back) - was actually on our Rotavator and the hose was absolutely falling to pieces and the new petrol went everywhere - wouldn't like to see that on a car .........  

• Like 1

As above advise, just go for a start up.. If it doesn t fire up after a couple of minutes, leave it alone for half hour and then try again.

Cracked her up yesterday. It would turn over a number of times then it would bump into a wall of silence and wouldn't turn over for a couple of secs. Then it would turn over with gusto and then same again ....wouldn't crank over for a couple of seconds. This was the pattern for 25 secs or so...... then she suddenly fired and started, and sounded normal from the off. Where as last year it sounded absolutely awful.

So all good now, went for a 25 mile run to loosen things up nicely and half a days drive planned for tomorrow. Happy days. I assume the starting issue was typical of it standing, but I'll keep my eye on it!!

P.S - check your fuel hoses - I've come across some unbelievably split and disintegrating hoses recently (not on my Westie now but I did have a few years back) - was actually on our Rotavator and the hose was absolutely falling to pieces and the new petrol went everywhere - wouldn't like to see that on a car .........  

Sound advice, another symptom of modern ethanol contaminated fuels, is that (amongst other things) they eat through old rubber hoses. It's probably well worth while taking the boot box out every now and then to do a complete inspection of the hoses and connections to the tank+fuel pump.