Nova Kit Car Rebuild Project

Pistol Pete

Good distraction that thanks for sharing :yes:

• Like 1

There's not much of the original Nova he bought left, really! I could just see pound signs and heaps of burning tenners, but it was a fascinating thread.

Agree that the finished car will be a cracker.

• Like 1

Haven't seen one of these for a good few years now.  IIRC, GM threw loads of legal stuff at the small company that made the kit in order to stop them using the Nova name - even though they had it first.  And they had to capitulate as they couldn't afford to fight it.  Corporate bullying of the worst kind.

• Like 1

It's got one hell of a lot of weight hanging over the back axle.

They really were futuristic when they first came out in an era where everything was boxy. When you have seen a very good one they really are still a car that people stare at.

Looking at the blog I would love to know how much it is costing as there is a lot of work going into that one. As finkangle say's it will be interesting how it handles with such a lump of weight at the back.

I salute his passion

• Like 1

My sandrail has the same vw chassis in it however the engine is a bit different now, still got the beetle axle and gearbox but it's now married to a Suzuki gsx 1100 engine giving 24 forward gears and 6 reverse, it can certainly shift.

Was there not a car similar to this in an American cop show, back in the eighties, I think it was called Crazy like a Fox or something like that.

Certainly a thorough job isn't it. Looks like the only things retained from original are the pedals and the plastic bits. Not a bad thing by the look of what they found. Was surprised they retained a steering box though, and not at all convinced about how they 'tweaked' the suspension towers to clear the bigger coilovers either, but I guess it's light enough to get away with.

Suspect it'll be one of the highest budget Nova builds ever. Certainly interesting.

Not seen a Subaru powered one before, but I have seen Nova's with Alfa, either a Twin Spark or V6, can't remember which, Rover V8 and Lotus Twin cams fitted.

I remember making a bracket at school for one of the teachers that was building one of these back in the 80's.