High Level Third Brake Light

CraigHew

I've fancied one of these for a while, and after doing a bit of research, decided to take the plunge.

Using the overview article published in Westfield World published Summer 2012 by Andy Banks as a guide I purchased the Surface Mount Slimline LED unit from Carbuilder Solutions at £38.40 (http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/surface-mount-slimline-led-third-brake-light-red-lens)  Sure there are others out there but this one has been mentioned before here and I think quite a few members have used it with good results.

I wanted a bit of additional visibility with it, so I sourced an in-line strobe module from Superbright LEDs all the way in St Louis, Missouri (https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/emergency-strobe/brake-light-strobe-module/195/845/).  I fitted a similar unit into my wife's SLK last summer and was really pleased with the effect.  Although the strobe was less than $5 it cost me a further $16 to ship it here by international first class post. They do a few versions, with different functionality / strobe patterns. The one I liked was the LSC-100A module, which flashes the LED it's wired into four times quickly (half a second) then 4 times slowly (2 and a half seconds) then constantly on until the brake pedal is released.

Anyway this 11 second video gives you the idea...

I wired the LED through the roll-bar (drilled and tapped for M4 bolts) to hide the wiring and connected everything down by the rear offside light cluster.  The S2000 seems to have a different colour scheme for the rear light wiring compared to Andy Banks's article:  Mine is wired Red - Brake Lamp, Blue - Tail Lamp, White - Earth.

Using piggyback crimp connectors, everything can be removed and un-installed if needed, although once I've had a few good runs I may decide to solder and heat-shrink the wiring once proven.

All in all a very quick and easy upgrade. From a safety pov, I think it's a no-brainer....

• Like 2

That looks smart.

I also feel a lot safer with a higher brake light.

Money well spent.

• Like 1

Our SLK hasn't had a problem since it was fitted.  Clearly a test sample of 1 is not conclusive tho.  As I said, it's fully reversible with a few moments work......

Not really a problem is it, just unplug for mot.

Nice idea, I'm thinking of going a step further on mine and using an Arduino and c code to control my led brake lamps, solid on for "normal" deceleration, then if the wheel speed rate of change goes over a threshold then pulse the led brake lamps maybe 4 times a second until the vehicle speed reaches zero. A bit of work but I think it will be great for safety on the road.

I like the instLl, but I'm not a fan of the flashing, it's quite distracting?

Yes should be MOT test fail for reason stated by Quinten, but if you unplug it before test and state to the tester it is disconnected it is a pass and advise. You could then reconnect if you wished but still technically a road traffic offence as not showing a steady/ continuous light.

Actually, yes I think I'd find this a bit distracting too, imagine in traffic or something, every time you touch the brake lightly it does that sequence? The flashing needs to be linked to how severe the braking situation is in my opinion. The install is great though.

Most decent ones only trigger once then will not trigger again for a certain time period, I know mines like that. It's aimed at being safer/more discrete in stop start traffic.

I went through several MOTs with it on, though I always fit mine so that bypassing it takes a few minutes if needed. Many production cars have flashing rear brake lights under hard use now anyway, so when it just does it occasionally, then behaves normally, the tester just kind of dismisses it as being too eager on the brakes!

• Like 2

The MOT requires the 'standard number of lights' to work as per the test ie solid red. It makes no specific mention that additional lights should operate in the same way. Call it a loophole if you say but it should pass - mine has! I've seen Police cars (Mercedes) factory fitted with them..

At a recent IVA pass, we had a customer's car fitted with front, rear and side repeaters. The wrong mirrors also incorporated repeaters and we ask if this would be considered as fail. The answer was no - as long as you've got the prescribed standard number, any more aren't considered a lesser standard!

some cars already have flashing brake lights under heavy braking/abs locking

link

• Like 1

I have to say I'm not a fan of these flashing lights in your standard Corsas or Cleos ( yooffull boys racer types) but for an enthusiastic sort of car see them as a possible safety enhancement. Anything within reason you can do to make the rest of the visually challenged drivers see you must be a gain. I would guess if the driver were an experienced type who used the brakes judiciously then can't see a problem if however you were one of the ever growing population who haven't yet found there handbrakes and sit with the foot brakes on at any opportunity dazzling everyone behind, then these flashers would be a proper pain in the eyeballs.

I think I may get one of those little modules though, just for the 3rd high level job which happens to be the same as this posting.

Bob :d

• Like 1