Ashbourne, Peak District Sun 22nd March

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Hi Julie, I'm hoping to meet up with Finkangel on the way up and I am bringing an extra bod from my area who is keen to come out to play!!!

• Like 1

It has gone to plan this morning and I have arranged with the National Trust warden Anna for us to have photos taken in front of Ilam Hall.

With no refreshments available outside Halfords in Ashbourne I suggest we meet and go, when we get to Ilam Hall we can get a take-out cuppa from the cafe and stand with our cars. It is only about a 15 minute drive away.

I then have a gorgeous route up and over the tops, off the beaten track with stunning views, can't wait.

Don't forget your camera!

Any planned fuel stops?

I'll do my best to have a full tank when I get there.

Spannering complete, Saturday morning test complete... No problems

See you tomorrow

• Like 1

There is a petrol station in Ashbourne if needed!

Finkangel, I suggest meeting at the Swan Inn car park in Draycott or in the large lay by on the A50 between the junctions for the A515. What do you think?

Woop work done, so emma and I will be free and we look forward to seeing you tomorrow. Get to try out the new thermal suit.

• Like 1

Swan inn car park sounds good.

Stu

Great, should be there about 10am  :d

Great run out today, thanks to Julie and Glen for organising.

Tea stop at Ilam Hall……Julie preparing her car to travel inland on the great coast to coast tour of the Peak District  ???

Ilam%20Hall%2022nd%20Mar%201_zps2ga0hkk8

I'll second that Martyn, Thanks Julie and Glen.

1st decent run under its belt, just over 100 miles in a day and apart from a camber adjuster coming loose :o  there were no supprises.

Thanks to Martyn for his trusty tool kit. :yes:

• Like 1

Just under 150 miles for me, great to meet some other members, Trev (the turtle), and the finkster (can't remember your name sorry, it's my age).

Brilliant scenery, great turn out with probably the best amount of different coloured cars I've seen on a local meet. The weather was lovely and we virtually (if a little weirdly) seemed to have the roads and roller coaster twists and turns to ourselves.

The girl done good on the route (bet it was Glen's route really), thanks for taking the time to organise, roll on summer sunshine!

Oh hilarious Martyn, nice to see you are picking up all of Tricky's naughty traits and becoming an expert on taking the pee.  :d  Everybody had this bad habit of asking me where we were going and it was mainly on unclassified roads and through tiny villages nobody had ever heard of so it was just easier to say we were heading inland from the big A515, perhaps I meant cross country! it's all this wind it get's on your brain eventually. It was funny though.

We met in Ashbourne and this turned up, oh wow.

Ashbourne%20March%202015%20001_zpswindkt

S2000 with a whole 50 miles on the clock, welcome to a very knowledgeable builder Stu, Finkangel.

We took the short but scenic journey to Ilam Hall, this picture doesn't quite capture it but it is about as 'peaky' as the Peak District gets.

Ashbourne%20March%202015%20007_zpswvofeg

Ilam Hall

Ashbourne%20March%202015%20012_zpsqrmuxi

With a birthday cake for Molestrangler, happy Birthday, sorry you didn't come though. Now let's guess, a hangover perhaps? see you next time. Thanks Tricky for the use of your Westfield style dining table.

Ashbourne%20March%202015%20014_zpskwxug3

View from Ilam Hall

Ashbourne%20March%202015%20015_zpster2ce

More to come

Forgot to add, Mr Molestrangler, your cake was lurvely, you missed a treat, maybe you can meet up next time.

P.P.S, Julie you need to see a doctor about that wind if it's effecting your brain, think you can get tablets!

Come to think of it that's probably why you were so slow in places, having us believe it was that white Audi!?

I'll get mi coat!

Ilam Hall, thanks to the National Trust for accommodating us. 

Ashbourne%20March%202015%20019_zpsvvu583

Then it was the best bit, a drive over the tops on quiet country roads, thanks to Glen for more pictures on the move.

Ashbourne%20March%202015%20024_zps7myxuy

We finished up at the cafe for lunch, unfortunately they were hosting a party and were only serving tea and cakes, we were already full of cake so we made up plan B and went to Hartington instead. Not before Martyn got his spanners out again though.

Ashbourne%20March%202015%20032_zpszmqwxp

We went to The Charles Cotton pub and managed to convince the manager to serve us a finger food type roast sandwich outside as we wanted to sit with the cars in the sun. It was supposed to be knife and fork Sunday dinner only. He was a car fan and the owner of the very lovely ST just seen in the background of the picture, a very understanding man, thank you. What colour is it? not the normal ST orange.

Ashbourne%20March%202015%20036_zps1znk7l

Matt and me were there too

Ashbourne%20March%202015%20035_zpsnoqdtv

We divided up and went our separate ways home which left 4 cars heading off through Bakewell, ooh goody, the 13 bends road I thought. I was really looking forward to it after having the fun of a supercharged S2000 (Matt) stuffed up my bottom all the way out of Hartington. But no, a silly rag top Audi doing 25 mph in a bendy 50 mph zone with double white lines and nowhere to overtake. Grr.

Next time boys we will do it properly, oh and we should have come home the long way via Crowdecote, what do ya reckon Tricky?

Thanks to Glen, Trevor, Sean and Emma, Matt, Stu, Martyn and Sue and my ever faithful Tricky for a cracking day out. Hope you are warmed up for Cadwell tomorrow Trevor. The Ashbourne meet was a massive success and will be repeated on a regular basis so spread the word and keep an eye on the Events section of this forum.