Half hood from Soft bits..

Murraymint

My son bought me a half hood for my birthday, it took 5 months to arrive but it's here…however it seems to be tight to go on..has anyone had the same problem or is it just my back luck..I think it will go on but would appreciate any advise or photos on fitting...

I found the material much stretchier than I expected, that said, a few people recently seem to have had issues with pulling the material away at the front rail, adhesive giving way? So just be careful when stretching it in to place.

Ok thanks Dave…yes it's going to be a struggle to fit I think…does the back straps go onto the body or the roll bar (as per soft bits web site), i thinking they all fit to the body?

Many apologies, just spotted the title, it was a soft bits hood, ignore my comments about the adhesive - that was the Westfield Hood!

• Like 1

My rear straps are attached to tapped fittings into the angled RAC roll bar struts, not absolutely ideal as some mechanical strength will have been sacrificed but that was a decision I took based on the fact that I didn't want the straps going into the fibreglass bodywork. Works well enough.

Bob :d

On the WF HH, it's possible to attach the detachable lower rear straps to the RAC bar back stays*, just below the level of the bootbox with jubilee clips. Saves drilling! Obviously, the buckle bit of the strap then comes through to sit on top of the bootbox?

*assuming enough gap between the stay and the bootbox for the strap to fit through!

• Like 1

wait for a sunny day and park the car with the loose hood on for a few hours.  Makes a world of difference

try putting the half hood in the airing cupboard where the hot water tank is but keeping the material off  any very hot areas ie. pipes etc and leave for 24 hrs then the material may have become more pliable and easier to fit.

In cold weather I tried this with a previous full hood but not tried with half hood.

5 Months!!!! Blimey was going to get a custom one from them and they quoted 3-4 weeks.......

try putting the half hood in the airing cupboard where the hot water tank is but keeping the material off any very hot areas ie. pipes etc and leave for 24 hrs then the material may have become more pliable and easier to fit.

In cold weather I tried this with a previous full hood but not tried with half hood.

This may work for the 'standard' vinyl type hoods but not sure when it comes to the cloth type as used with the halfhoods.

I tapped the backstays for my half hood too. Felt I could get the hood tighter that way without risking damage to the bodywork.

This may work for the 'standard' vinyl type hoods but not sure when it comes to the cloth type as used with the halfhoods.

I'm not 100% sure, but don't SBFS use mohair for the hoods, like Westfield? In which case, like Bombero said, heating doesn't make that much difference, there's a fair degree of natural stretch in it anyway.

Well that the half hood fitted…it took a bit of work, but hopefully worth it…and by the looks of things the WSCC umbrella fits in the half hood bag…Job done...

Image_zpsvq8jzr7l.jpg

• Like 1