Really chuffed with my new diff ratio !

Steve M

Its very difficult to pull more than 120mph with the fire blade  engines due to the lack or aerodynamics and very low torque available. I was very happy with my Croft sprint time last year with a new record of 81.59secs. My record of 79.01secs with the big Duratec still stands in class H so the bike engine does well round the corners!!! 

• Like 1

Interesting topic.  I didn't think it could make much difference, other than in 1st as the rest is swings and roundabouts.  For circuits etc the right ratios are important as you don't want to be changing gear, only to change back almost immediately, and should be able to pull out of a corner without immediately changing gear.  I thought a 4.1 would be quicker, but went back to the 3.9.  5th is now just overdrive, but I have good torque from 3,500 to 7,500.

If you want to see how to install a LSD and then set up the CWP, look at "A 4x4 is born"

Many years ago, there was an article in Westfield World with a table of BHP and estimated maximum speed.  The drag starts to really hurt at about 110 mph and to get over 150 mph needed something silly over 500bhp  (with a windscreen, I assume).  Does anyone still have this?

Got a new diff and ratio waiting to go into mine.

In my case I will be going to a 4.4 Quaife ATB from an 3.89 open which is a bigger change than you made so it will be interesting to see how it goes, I bought a spare good 3.89 at the same time so could rebuild the diff and go back to the old ratio, but will be interesting to see its effect on the car, for road use as well as autotesting/autosolo.

Daniel

There is a big difference between a CEC with torque and a BEC with almost no torque

• Like 1

undoubtedly, but with a 3.6 in 110 was definitely not fast enough. If I dont see over 120 with the bike engine at croft, its going in the bin LOL

I should hit 124/125 towards Tower unless there is a headwind!

???  :suspect:  :p

Don't worry Tel Now I have your diff ratio I can work it out from the 2008 gear ratios ;-)'

Its not easy to work out cos you don't know my rear tyre size! and you presume that I run a standard gearbox!!!!!!!!

You also need to build in the accuracy of my datalogger

See you at Croft to compare notes

There wont be much to compare, purely a sunday drive, and systems test while running on road tyres, for me

It will be good to catch up with a few old faces

There is a big difference between a CEC with torque and a BEC with almost no torque

And the ones who are all talk    :)

Torque is deco not cheap!