Really chuffed with my new diff ratio !

Steve M

Hi Steve,

Interesting to hear that its made such a dramatic difference.

Glad you are pleased Steve

I told you it would make a difference !!!

What engine and power output do you have ?

Interested because I'm in the middle of going the other way , from 3.9 standard diff to 3.6 LSD  :t-up:

Engine is a 2.0 Zetec 205 BHP, BGH E6 gearbox

Big difference in acceleration & only 3000 revs more at 70mph

Yes, I'm going to have the LSD put into the 3.92 unit

or 300 rpm difference! at 70mph

As well as being higher up the power band at a certain speed, you've also got nearly 10% more torque at the hubs in every gear everywhere - not surprised you are chuffed :)

Reading this with great interest. So it's possible to convert my 3.62 LSD diff to a 3.92 LSD by transferring over the LSD unit...excuse my greeness!

Diffs and LSDs confuse me (not in what they do, but how they make that much of a difference) posts like this make me ponder tho... Not even sure what I have in mine - definitely no LSD.

its not the LSD unit that changes the ratio 

The crown wheel and pinion determine the ratio and thats what changes the acceleration/ top speed/speed in the gears etc

There are several sites that will give you speeds etc "gear calculator" and it also depends on the rear tyre size as well as maximum revs

I went Caterham 6 speed and swapped the diff from 3.9 to 4.4, it knocked 1.5 seconds of my croft lap times. Now im bike engine its all about face, it came with a 3.66 which was pants so fitted a 3.12

well thats interesting cos I have set quite a few records with my Fireblade 2008 CBR1000RR and I run a 3.62LSD on 13" rims and there is no way that the 3.36 I used to have was as fast. The other speed series guys are also running 3.62

at Croft I used to see about 119MPH Vmax with the 1600.

First run out in this with the GPS calibrated speedo saw about 55MPH at 5500RPM - Max revs are 11000RPM so it would look like a v max of 110MPH

this is a CBR1000RR7 plugging the ratios into the Quaife website including the drop gear - low and behold it came back with 108 at 11000 so im pretty confident of the calcs

3.12:1 should give over 125MPH