Yamaha FS1 E's

Nemesis

Well the ASBO is in Durham having some surgery on the brakes and suspension.... and some of that dark arts and magic with the alignments.....(and if you're reading this Luke some new harness's please)

SO.... there I was after lunch looking at the weather and screaming at myself about the timing..... when the sage reminded me that there are 2 very expensive Yamaha FS1E's in the garage, she joked yet again that they cost millions to restore..... (if only she knew the truth), anyway, on with the spurs 'n' stuff and out for a pootle about, I've had a great time, I've frozen my bolts off and scared myself silly with 49cc's of 2 stroke fun.

Then we had the conversation when I got back home, "which one did you take?" she says..... A blank look from me with the reply "both, I came back and went out again" was met with a shake of the head and mutterings that I'm sure were meant to question my sanity..... So in short I want my ASBO back.

Nem............

• Like 1

I used to love my old fizzy, 16 years old and free, I blew the engine up on it but I realised that the Yamaha yb 100 engine fits in the fizzy frame perfectly and looks similar as well, nobody could touch me, I used to slaughter the ap 50 boys.

Cracked up my 350 powervalve today for the first time in about 6 months. Soon bought down to earth when the other half b**kled me for covering her washing in blue smoke. Worth it though to hear the old gal crackling again.

would love an old 350LC non power valve but the prices are scary

This threads made me start looking at X7's again

Crazy 100mph learner legal bikes of the early 80's

I was a Laverda man.  Had a Jota at 18!  Only for a year - it became impossible to insure - but the itch remained!  Ended up buying a beautiful orange/silver frame Jota 180 I found in Inverness for £3k two weeks before the birth of our first child 16 years later!  Kept it for 6 years or so and it remains the only motorised vehicle I've sold for more than I bought it for!  They go for around £10k these days.....

I've ridden both X7 and RD350LC.  Both fun but given the choice, I'd take the Yamaha every time. 

Me too

Yam was much quicker,the x7 was more of a threat to the non lc rd - and the yam handled better ( i couldnt afford one)

I recon that era of 250's was the reason they dropped it to 125 - i was living in woolacombe and the amount of lads maiming themselves was terrifying

I recon that era of 250's was the reason they dropped it to 125 - i was living in woolacombe and the amount of lads maiming themselves was terrifying

That was exactly the reason.  The X7 was the first to top the ton and when the RD250LC arrived, it was hard to justify letting 17 year olds leap onto them with L plates.  I had a pal who was one of the first to get an X7 and he was the first of my mates to have a brush with death and years of operations on his legs.  While the 250 ban was sensible, the restrictions on Mopeds limiting them to 30mph was a mistake in my view.  They were so slow as to be lethal, especially when trying to make a right turn in traffic.  Even my little Honda SS50 could get to 43mph before the valves bounced - it was a rocketship compared to the restricted tripe that came after 1977!

I had a Puch sports moped, which a guy who raced bikes helped me to tune with a sleeved barrel and a piston that took it to almost 80cc. It would eat all the expensive mopeds, but it was without doubt the most dangerous thing I have driven or ridden. You had to be almost a chemist to keep the mixture right to stop it seizing, which when it did you were off, happy days!

It did about 30mpg by the time we were finished and top speed was off the clock and around again.

What is now insane is how much nostalgia is worth, have you seen the price FS1e and SP50 etc are fetching? over a grand for a decent FS1e and more for minters.

I had a Puch sports moped, which a guy who raced bikes helped me to tune with a sleeved barrel and a piston that took it to almost 80cc. It would eat all the expensive mopeds, but it was without doubt the most dangerous thing I have driven or ridden. You had to be almost a chemist to keep the mixture right to stop it seizing, which when it did you were off, happy days!

It did about 30mpg by the time we were finished and top speed was off the clock and around again.

What is now insane is how much nostalgia is worth, have you seen the price FS1e and SP50 etc are fetching? over a grand for a decent FS1e and more for minters.

It wasn't one of those in the JPS colours, was it....I'd have killed for one of those when I was 16!

An early FS1E with pedals in a well re-furbished state can cost you around 5k...... just totally insane!!

It wasn't one of those in the JPS colours, was it....I'd have killed for one of those when I was 16!

No, I was poor! it was bright yellow with a chrome tank, three speed gear change that was on the handle bar. It was my brothers before me so when he traded up to a Honda 50 it became mine.

No, I was poor! it was bright yellow with a chrome tank, three speed gear change that was on the handle bar. It was my brothers before me so when he traded up to a Honda 50 it became mine.

I remember those well - the first thing I ever rode was a green one of those - step through frame with a 'peanut' tank on the frame.  

Ooooh

I thought you meant the ones you got out of grattans catalogue :)