Racetech Quick Release and possible Column Swap

Tim Reid

Hi,

I have a Racetech Quick release (black on black) which has been professionally welded to an Allegro steering column. They machined the parts together then drilled a hole across the column, inserted a rod and then welded the whole thing up... a belt and braces approach but should give a super strong connection. This was done about 1 year ago so in very good condition.

I have recently bought a Works Bell QR so I will either be cutting off the Racetech QR, in which case you will need to buy a new slug from Race Parts and have it welded or we could swap inner columns as part of the deal.

The inner column slides out of the outer so no need to swap keys or ignition barrels.

The Racetech QR cost just over £100 so how about £60?

Thanks,

Tim

Might need to understand if I can slide my inner column out but I am currently looking at a new boss/QR. I have the standard 48 spline shaft fitted at the moment.

Assuming the wheel part.of the QR is included in the price? What PCD is on the race tech?

Hi Chris,

The PCD is 50.8 (or there abouts).

To slide out your inner column you unbolt the universal joint in the engine bay, use the keys to take the steering lock off and the inner column should slide out towards the driver.

My car is a 1996 factory built car so I'm pretty sure your 2000 will have the same column but we can both take measurements and photos to check.

Yes, the price is for the part which bolts to the steering wheel, if we swap columns add £10 as it will save you needing to get a new slug and having it welded.

Thanks,

Tim.

Will check my column at the weekend and see if I can do what you say and get measurements in prep for a swap.

Tim,

Column photos with dims below:

2015-03-07%2011.53.17.jpg

2015-03-07%2011.53.52.jpg

2015-03-07%2011.54.02.jpg

2015-03-07%2011.54.12.jpg

And I am guessing this is the part to undo in the rear of the engine bay to slide the column out?

2015-03-07%2011.59.01.jpg

2015-03-07%2011.59.01.jpg

Yes, and just in case you weren't aware, once you've taken that nut off, you need to pull the bolt out too - it sits in a groove in the column which helps stop the column pulling free, even if the nut had failed.

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

It looks like we have a match... Oh yes and it's not a race tech but SPA designs! Sorry they are all the same really.

I have uploaded some photos to my drop box and will post in a moment.

Tim

As long as it swaps in/out and does the job that's fine. Was that PCD 6X50.8

Await photos to reconfirm all of the above but sounds like we have a deal. Columns must be the same length (or there abouts).

If all goes ahead might need a week to get hold of a wheel to fit. Need the Westy this Friday and following Saturday. Timing is everything :-)

Looking at the SPA Design website it was actually £135 but as we have already discuss price I won't change it.

This is a three hole but SPA do a 3 to 6 adaptor (as do many places)... http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/Product/QRA-103A%20Quick%20Release%20Adapter%203%20hole%20to%206%20hole

Pictures:

gallery_17589_561_36610.jpg

The battery was flat but it is 20mm:

gallery_17589_561_185255.jpg

gallery_17589_561_54046.jpg

Ignore the length that it sticks our from the dash... the dash is not mounted. The end into the engine bay looks the same length as yours.

I'm still working on my car so no immediate rush. 

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.