speed series

litcoat

Hi all,

In the speed series can you get a day license to race, I know you could when I was doing the autograss racing as long as your car passed scrutineering you could race. I'm keen to have a shot at Barbon. Also what's a hans device that keeps getting mentioned.

Cheers Mark

the licence is for a year... about £40ish runs from 1st Jan - 31st December

I would suggest emailing nick; competition@wscc.co.uk; I know lee for his first season did 1 event.

A hans device is a device that connects the back/neck to the helmet to restrict movement and therefore helps with neck and head damage in the event of a crash

Read the Beginners guide to see what is involved. We want more people to compete but its more than just getting  licence

• Like 1

Read the Beginners guide to see what is involved. We want more people to compete but its more than just getting  licence

Hoping to get to the Combe event and understand what needs to be done - car wise and me wise. Reading regulations is difficult (even tho I work in a world full of them, and writting some) maybe a scrutineer check to see where I would currently fail?  

If you make a quick list of questions I will try and answer them for you here or you ca send me  PM or call me on 07767836234 to discuss

• Like 2

Nick or Terry

Would it be worth while having someone at each event who could run through the basic car and kit requirements for any potential beginners?

I know we are all generally occupied all day at events but it would only take 10 - 15 mins at lunch or in between runs to offer some friendly help and advice to those thinking of taking part.

I'd be happy to give it a go, maybe a job for those of us who have recently started competing as its all still fresh.

That would be idea. Doesn't need to be overly formal but just having people there who know (which as there are competitors there should always be the case)

I am on my mobile and trying to recall parts of the regs I have read and have some questions:

Speed Series Questions:

Car: what extras are essential?

Timing Strut (looks okay to mount off bottom of nose cone but unsure of height width and location relative to - ground I assume?)

Cut offs?

Certain brand tyres or only certain classes?

Mechanical extras from say 'factory' standard?

Me: Licence (£40 a year application and a medical declaration by the looks of it)

Kit: I have a helmet that meets the standard, looks like I NEED the full kit Inc gloves and shoes?

I think the car questions are easiest answered in person at an event - strongly support the above.

• Like 1

Great idea for someone to talk guys through stuff in paddock

Crisiswolf ---A lot of what you ask is in the Beginners guide but its easy to answer the questions you ask. 

when I was a beginner it was useful going to an event knowing there were others from Herts, Beds Bucks etc to show me the ropes.

Looking back it is all minor stuff like getting helmet sticker, what to do at scrutineering, when to go for your run etc

I think if a newbie and going to an event just make this known on here before hand and I am sure another WSCC competitor will step forward and offer to help on the day.

To me that camaraderie and helpfulness is the best part of the speed series.

You shouldn't need a medical declaration unless you have medical history / condition of some sort

It is essential that you have a substantial roll over bar to protect your head if your roll. It needs to be higher than your head when you are sat in car and preferably have rear struts on it. You do not really need any extras on the car for road going classes.

The timing strut is usually mounted to the nose cone and needs to be a minimum height of 254mm, width of 51mm minimum and be matt black, the bottom of it should be no less than 180mm from the ground or higher than 200mm from the ground.

A cut off switch is not necessary but the normal ignition switch needs a sticker saying on/off next to it 

The tyres are what we call list 1A or 1B so let us know what you have and we will check blue book (MSA rules) for you.

You do not need shoes but most/all drivers use them but you do need a fireproof/nomex suit ( see blue book for specn

You will get a copy of the blue book when you get your licence but its best to talk it through with people as you can get lost!

I'm in the process (awaiting delivery) of a 'substantial' roll bar with rear struts so TICK

So total height minimum 254mm, minimum 51mm wide with the bottom of it between 180mm-200mm from the ground. Simple (I guess). Any suggested suppliers of such things?

I've got Toyo T1Rs on. 

Doesn't sound too onerous. Sounds like the suit is the most expensive outlay! Car is almost 'ready' then. Getting towards the stage (1 year of ownership tomorrow) where I have done cosmetics, done some performance now I just need to use it even more (3k miles wasn't enough!) and train the 'squishy bit' behind the wheel as they say and have some fun.

Await to see who is about for Combe and will interrogate accordingly.

Pleased you don't need any medical declaration, my backs knackered as is one of my feet plus my left wrist is in plaster at the moment and I've just had the stitches out of my head.

All those excuses have been used for not driving quick enough.....you will just have to able to take the p...ss that is in ample supply in the paddock

• Like 1